Categories
Search
Bottom

Using Username for Profile Name and Blog URL

• stoi2m1
    Participant

@stoi2m1

Wordpress 3.0.1 Buddpress 1.2.6 Subdirectory Installation

Is there any reason why I shouldnt try to make my installation work where the username, profile name and blog URL are all the same?

If there is no reason why I shouldnt do this what is the easiest way to make this happen?

I am trying to make my user signups much simpler then they currently are, most users do not understand the difference and are not completing the registration form. We can tell this by use stats on that page and the number of exits we are getting.

Thanks for you help and info,
    Jesse

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Nahum
    Participant

@nahummadrid

There’s been some discussion around here about this. There are some issues I’ve experienced with post titles conflicting with usernames with the same naming and this was on a subdomain install. I can imagine there would be more conflict with subdirectories if you’re throwing blog names, categories, and post titles all getting thrown in to a mix of user names and blog urls.

I don’t know if it’s a known issue that’s been explained anywhere but I know i’ve had some problems. But keep looking I’d love to read more about how all these naming conventions are related in plain english.

stoi2m1
    Participant

@stoi2m1

@nahummadrid, Thanks for the response.

You’ve got me thinking that I already have an issue then.

For instance I have a page named music. The URL for it is myblog.com/music.

If a user signed up and made their username music then their blog URL would be the same myblog.com/music.

Or am I missing something?

Maybe a prefix can be added to the blogs like what has been done for all of the other elements within wordpress.

Nahum
    Participant

@nahummadrid

yea i don’t know. I’ve just tried to avoid it altogether :)… until it’s explained/addressed within the context of BP/MU/SubDomains/Subdirectories.

stoi2m1
    Participant

@stoi2m1

Bump.

Just looking for a little info on this.

I hoping to be able to force members blog url/path to use their username by default during signup.

And after a little discussion trying to understand if there is an issue if users, use a username or more specificly a blog path of soemthing like category, members or any of the other immediate sub paths after the domain. What would have priority, user blog paths or the main sites control over the domain and sub directory paths.

Thanks,
    Jesse

stoi2m1
    Participant

@stoi2m1

Would using some javascript to fill the value of a hidden field name signup_blog_path do the trick?

Or should I just remove the bp_core_signup function and replace it with my own?

Im also trying to fight spam and a recent change to my signup form has increased the number of spam signups. Is there a good solution for helping ensure a human is signing up to buddypress? Im also trying to evaluate whether the vulnerability is from buddypress or my theme. How could I tell?

stoi2m1
    Participant

@stoi2m1

I should be getting back to this in about a week or so.

@r-a-y do you have any input on this?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Using Username for Profile Name and Blog URL’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar