Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Creating a “wall post” box (Post to profile VS. @mention)

• Kaleh
    Participant

@kaleh

Hi,

I was looking at my site the other day and while using the tools and features I noticed a large inconvenience for a user; the post to profile feature.

If a user wants to write a quick message on someones profile they must go to that profile click “mention this user” and then they are re-directed back to their profile to type in a message.

The problem with this is it becomes very tedious. It also is difficult to send quick messages to friends whose user names are much different then there real names; therefore, remembering “@rembrandt45” for your friend Sean can get cumbersome when you have a large friend list.

Do not get me wrong I love the “mention” feature it is brilliant for sending messages quickly, and to anyone in your activity stream.

BUT

I would like to place the same box that is currently in the activity stream and on the logged in users profile onto all users walls; so that they can quickly interact with each other by being able to post on each others profile activity stream.

I was considering cutting the code from the activity stream that creates the post box and placing it into the profile.

Any advice or ideas on how I can go about initiating this idea into my site would be fantastic.

Thank you

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• lu5dx
    Participant

@lu5dx

I’d love to have that feature too! buddypress.org has that feature. Under each profile there is a form for us to post comments directly to friends. I’d like to be able to do that in my site.

Regards.

Martin

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

lu5dx
    Participant

@lu5dx

Wow! @mercime !!!!!!! Thanks so so much for your post. Heading to modify what’s necessary right now. Regards!

hugo
    Participant

@fanvid

why isnt this core? and i tried to use the tutorial and it was a big FAIL!

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

fanvid, You could always ask for assistance / leave comment at @sbrajesh site

hugo
    Participant

@fanvid

yes @mercime i understand that, but the point is not that it didn’t work with me at first, the point is why it is a feature here on the budypress site and not easily available on the core package/theme, so here they think its a good feature, but on all the other budypress sites its not, or if you want it, you have to hack it in to have something similar, doesn’t make sense… basically the budypress.org site is not a clear representation of a budypress site :

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

=== the budypress.org site is not a clear representation of a budypress site : ===

http://testbp.org/ is a clear representation of a default install of BuddyPress as noted in Codex. And the wall/wire was in the core of BuddyPress plugin pre-BP 1.2 version. Don’t know why it was removed.

Here’s the answer! It has always frustrated me how @mentions work in BuddyPress as I find it chaotic and confusing for users. So I built a theme that converts the @mentions system into a TRUE Facebook wall with post to profile and threaded replies. If you every need to, at any time you can deactivate our Wall Component from the dashboard and your content will revert to @mentions, You can download the theme at http://www.buddyboss.com.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Creating a “wall post” box (Post to profile VS. @mention)’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar