Categories
Search
Bottom

The Importance of Private Hidden Groups, Forums & Activity in Directories

• ericreynolds007
    Participant

@ericreynolds007

Running WP 2.9.2, BP 1.2.3, and using the Affinity for BP Template

I’ve read the threads and reply posts on the subject of listing private groups, forums, and activity in the directories. The members of the private hidden groups on our site want to be able to visit the groups, forums, or activity directories and see the private hidden info there. Of course, they do not want members who aren’t in the private hidden groups to see anything private and hidden.

Is this something that will be addressed in the next Buddypress version?

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• 3sixty
    Participant

@3sixty

I think what you’re saying is that, for example, in Forum posts: if you’re a logged in member of a private/hidden group, you should see private/hidden posts in the overall Forum Index, and obviously, nonmembers would see the same Index minus the private posts. I agree that this seems like it should be the logical default in BP. On my site, keeping private/hidden posts it creates a “parallel universe” effect where users of private/hidden forums have to visit a special place to see that protected content. As a result, private/hidden forums get less usage than they should.

I have no idea if this is planned for BuddyPress, but I would put in a strong vote for it. In the meantime, it could be handled by a plugin or rewrite of code.

ericreynolds007
    Participant

@ericreynolds007

Amen! Any coders out there up for the challenge?

abcde666
    Participant

@erich73

I guess you are talking about this:

https://trac.buddypress.org/ticket/2166

Currently, I think that it is not wise to use Private-Groups as those are not working really perfect yet….

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘The Importance of Private Hidden Groups, Forums & Activity in Directories’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar