Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

500 Errors (1and1 webhost)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

If 1and1 is your webhost, make sure you have this at the top of your .htaccess at your webroot.

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
    AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php

If this does not help, make a php.ini and put it in your webroot AND wp-admin, and put the following in it.

memory=64MB
    upload_max_filesize=64M;
    post_max_size=64M;

Adjust the 64M to your needs, but it’s a good place to start for *most* people.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Andrea Rennick
    Participant

@andrea_r

Oh THANK YOU for figuring this out, finally. Was driving me nuts, but I hadn;t had a chance to try out that host and couldn’t reproduce it.

Now I know where to point people. :D

We need to revamp the FAQ thread and put this sort of host-specific information into it, because this alone has been mentioned countless times in various threads ;)

Andrea Rennick
    Participant

@andrea_r

Maybe over here (where I skim), but not in the MU forums. :D Good to know tho.

neuromancer2701
    Participant

@neuromancer2701

I am having this same problem. I have tried both methods above anything else, I need to do.

Thanks

@Neuromancer2701 This thread has been marked as resolved. Make a new thread with full details.

ravetildon

@ravetildon

I use 1and1 for a couple of my sites…

From what they tell me, 1and1 will not work with most wordpress or wordpress mu sites because they only allow php limited amount of memory.

You can change the memory in php.ini and if you use phpinfo it will show up as 64mb, but at the server level they have it configured for this:

These are the following restrictions on our “Linux shared business” hosting packages.

A process may only use a CPU at 100% for 6 seonds

A process may use a maximum of 12 mb of RAM

A maximum of 12 process to be run at any 1 time

They do have a shared developer package with a lil better memory, but you’ll probably still get the issues…

mbiernat
    Participant

@mbiernat

1and1 works fine with WordPress. I run a number of sites with 1and1 not an issue, only MU does not work. I know this is marked resolved :) I have been testing Buddypress and MU for a while now, and It has nothing to do with BuddyPress. It is an MU issue with 1and1

Ok, really sorry about this but I’m a complete newbie to wordpress. My host is 1and1 and I have the installation working, but when I try to activate the buddypress plugin I get the 500 error. I see the recommendation here to modify the .htaccess file, but I don’t have one! Any tips?

Jerry McNamara
    Participant

@jmcnamaratx

Any chance you could link this over to installation? That’s where I was doing all my perusing, and never would have found this without a more global google search. THANKS! Jerry

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Errors (1and1 webhost)’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar