Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

”There was an error deleting [user] from the system. Please try again.”

• Mark
    Participant

@codeispoetry

I am a site admin trying to delete a user account. What could be causing this rather uninformative error: “There was an error deleting [user] from the system. Please try again.” ?

I have toggled the “disable user account deletion” in general settings; doesn’t have an effect.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

How are you trying to delete the user? From the WP Dashboard? Does the problem persist when BuddyPress is turned off?

Mark
    Participant

@codeispoetry

@boonebgorges Sorry, I wasn’t very explicit. I am visiting the user’s profile while logged in as an admin, which gives me the Admin options in the admin bar, including the option to “delete this user”. That way, it doesn’t work.

I’m sure I can delete the user from within the WordPress interface, but that is what I want to avoid. So I want to find out what could be causing this BP error.

Mark
    Participant

@codeispoetry

WP3.0, BP1.2.5, BP default theme BTW

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@codeispoetry – Try upgrading to BP 1.2.5.2.
    There was a bug in deleting a member or marking a member as spam.

Mark
    Participant

@codeispoetry

Thanks, that helped!

suzette1970

@suzettekussnercom

I am using BP 1.2.5.2 and I am still getting the error. Anyone have any ideas?

Falcon Show
    Participant

@falconshow

Same here, BuddyPress 1.2.5.2, WordPress 3.01 and can’t delete users.

helpy
    Participant

@helpy

using 1.2.6 … getting the same error.

deleted user from WP dashboard … but user still exist in BP …. :-(

EDIT: Answer:
    Admin can not delete other user if the option “user cannot delete itself” is enabled!
    temporarily disable the option, delete user, enable option again.

cu, guido

pnm
    Participant

@pnmisha

@helpy

I have the same config as Falcon Show – WordPress – 3.0.1 and BuddyPress – 1.2.5.2

I couldn’t figure out where the option “user cannot delete itself” is, either in buddypress/wordpress dashboard. Can you please tell me where can I find this option? ( I am using default BuddyPress theme). Thanks.

helpy
    Participant

@helpy

I have a german wordpress … and I do not know if I re-translated it exactly to english!

It is in WordPress Administration ==> BuddyPress ==> General Settings ==> Disable user account deletion?

==> example.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=bp-general-settings

cu, guido

Dr_Pollard
    Participant

@dr_john_pollard

So, dead thread as usual?

I’m having this same problem, same everything.

Dr_Pollard
    Participant

@dr_john_pollard

I did find this but it’s in the WP part of the BP deal, which is what helpy suggested.

Disable avatar uploads? (Gravatars will still work): Yes No
    Disable user account deletion?: Yes No

Then you got to the BB part on your site, which I did, and the same problem is happening. So I

1) Saved settings, logged out of WP backend and BP on site

2) Logged back on BP on site

3) Same There was an error deleting Thomas from the system. Please try again.

So, don’t know what’s up.

Virtuali
    Participant

@gunju2221

Can users delete their own accounts? If they can’t, then we know where the problem lies.

Try creating a test account, and then try deleting it under buddypress. (account —> Settings —> Delete account)

Shaun MacRae
    Participant

@shaunmacrae

We are also having the same problem with the delete user option in the admin bar. Also fatal error when users try. to delete their own accounts.

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare add_user() (previously declared in /wp-admin/includes/user.php:23) in /wp-admin/includes/user.php on line 44

Shaun MacRae
    Participant

@shaunmacrae

Turns out ours is a clash with bp-group-control plugin. Disabled that and can delete users as expected. They must be redeclaring add_user().

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘”There was an error deleting [user] from the system. Please try again.”’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar