Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

1.1 rc and r1964 – Page Not Found for Blog Members Groups and Forums

• lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

I tried on 1.1rc and r1964 today and both times using the theme provided by buddypress the blog, members, groups, and forums links do not work. They just give a ” page not found” error in the main content and the sidebar widgets load.

I’m using wordpress MU 2.8.4a

Buddypress themes in theme folder only and the bp default enabled and activated.

view site and page loads but those links don’t work and the related buddypress links in the buddypress bar don’t work either.

Normal wordpress posts seem to work fine just not the Buddypress stuff.

WordPress mu is set up to use subdirectories for blogs

Wordpress mu installed in website root.

I read forum threads and didn’t see any solutions for this issue.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)

• takuya
    Participant

@takuya

Make sure you have bp-sn-parent in the theme directory.

lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

yes, they are both there. “Buddypress themes in theme folder only and the bp default enabled and activated.”

lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

just as a test I tried using the parent theme instead of default. No, those pages still didn’t work.

Where in the code are those pages set to direct to the right template pages? ( because it isn’t working) perhaps there is a hack to get it working.

takuya
    Participant

@takuya

Never use bp-sn-parent as it says.

There’s no hacking needed to use default theme.

Perhaps subdirectory is conflicting with buddypress, as I never done that before. It’s always recommended to use subdomains. Anyway, search the forum again with different keywords and wait for else to post here.

lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

I only tried the parent as a TEST after the fact that the member theme didn’t work.

I don’t see why buddypress wouldn’t work with blogs in subdirectories since that would be the most logical install (since it doesn’t require extra server setup) That is how MU works.

It is installed at the webroot.

If buddypress is now exclusively subdomains, I’ll have to look for another solution (or start coding my own friends,groups, and internal messaging hacks *sigh* which wouldn’t be good enough to share.

I did another search this morning of the forum and I see that several others are having the same exact problem, but no one has replied with any fixes. I saw a few threads saying not to have mu installed in a subdirectory, but that is not my case. It is so disappointing.

There were some fixes committed for subdirectory installs, but I’m not sure if those made it into RC 1.1 or not.

Try running the latest version of BP via svn at https://svn.buddypress.org/trunk/, or here’s a zip: https://trac.buddypress.org/changeset/1964/trunk?old_path=%2F&format=zip

lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

My latest tests are with r1964. :-( I’m re-uploading it right now.

lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

finished re-uploading no change.

takuya
    Participant

@takuya

btw, if you go to wpmudev.org, there’re premium plugins to turn wpmu into social network without buddypress. That’s another option if your current problem doesn’t get solved.

It works fine with subdirs or subdomains or with WPMU in a subdirectory. Please post more details about your setup, perhaps we can debug what is wrong with it.

lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

what more details should I post?

lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

not sure what would be useful. It is on a Hostgator shared account on a linux server. MU works fine. Here are the program versions according to the control panel.

Program

Version

Apache:

CentOS:

cPanel:

11.24.5-RELEASE

Curl:

MySQL

phpMyAdmin

Python:

Program

Version

Perl:

PHP:

ionCube Loader:

Zend Optimizer:

Ruby:

Rails:

OpenSSL:

0.9.8e-fips-rhel5

takuya
    Participant

@takuya

Can’t you post url to your test site? is it local? or screenshots maybe?

When using the home theme:

Is the CSS being loaded?

Have you changed the permalink settings in WPMU?

Do you have a htaccess file in your WPMU install?

Since you say you have uploaded manually, you may have missed a file or put something in the wrong place. Or perhaps the file/directory permissions need setting correctly? (I’m not sure what to, try 777 for a test)

lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

Is the CSS being loaded?

yes I see style when using the theme, but as I mentioned all the buddypress specific pages are “page not found” in otherwords the widgets and the regular MU stuff loads like blog posts and blog pages.

Have you changed the permalink settings in WPMU?

not recently. Currently:

custom /%postname%/

Do you have a htaccess file in your WPMU install?

yes

Since you say you have uploaded manually, you may have missed a file or put something in the wrong place. Or perhaps the file/directory permissions need setting correctly? (I’m not sure what to, try 777 for a test)

well, I’ve reuploded everything at least once. Which files should be changed to 777? I didn’t see anything in the readme about making everything publicly editable.

Can’t you post url to your test site? is it local? or screenshots maybe?

no, because it is a real site, after I finish making sure Buddypress still doesn’t work, I deactivate the Buddypress plugin and reactivate my normal theme.

local? not sure what you mean by that.

everything LOOKs good except for the “page not found” where the normal content should be on buddypress pages. I see the style and widgets load.

lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

I’m deleting my buddypress directory again and uploading the newest trunk.

lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

to remove the possibility of some undefined file not uploading correctly, I made a zip file with everything, uploaded that and extracted it with the control panel file managerbefore activating (again) buddy press and the default theme.

no change.

lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

yes, by default theme I mean the buddypress one..

Please would test setting the permalink back to the default and see if that makes any difference? This seems to ring a bell…

lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

when I changed the permalink back to default, instead of getting “page not found” the buddypress pages didn’t load anything new just the same page refreshed without any error message. in other words, that didn’t work either.

takuya
    Participant

@takuya

How about pasting your .htaccess here so DJPaul or other experts could get some more detail.

Unless someone’s fiddled with the htaccess, the default one should work.

lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

Are there extra lines for the .htaccess to make buddypress specific pages work?

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

@Lostdeviant

Do you have any plugins other than BuddyPress installed and activated. If so, temporarily deactivate all of them except BP and see if that makes a difference.

lostdeviant
    Participant

@lostdeviant

testing

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • The topic ‘1.1 rc and r1964 – Page Not Found for Blog Members Groups and Forums’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar