Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

500 Error after upgrade to 1.7

• beeeerock
    Participant

@beeeerock

Just did the automatic update and the site is dead in the water with the error:

“HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfil the request.”

I had the BP pack installed to fix a non-BP theme to work with BP. Could that be the cause?

Where to start besides ssh’ing in and deleting plug-in directories? Is there a simple fix?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hi

We need to see the error message that’ll be reported in your web server’s PHP log. Your host should be able to help get you these details.

beeeerock
    Participant

@beeeerock

There wasn’t a php log file there, so I edited php.ini and started the logging.

Here is the output of interest… with ‘domain’ substituted for actual domain:

[09-Apr-2013 15:26:58] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare bp_login_redirect() (previously declared in /var/www/domain.net/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-login-redirect/bp-login-redirect.php:10) in /var/www/domain.net/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-core/bp-core-dependency.php on line 235

Odd… the time stamp looks to be UTC but other messages in the log are local time… but obviously not the problem!

I moved the buddypress-login-redirect plug-in directory out of the WordPress install and the site is again visible. However, the function that plug-in provided is obviously gone now. I assume this is something the plug-in author will have to fix to live along side of BuddyPress, not the other way around?

Function name conflict. Hmm. Investigating.

beeeerock
    Participant

@beeeerock

Wow, that’s a quick turnaround! Thanks Paul! 🙂

VegasKev88
    Participant

@vegaskev

@djpaul of course, you’re on top of this as usual, but have you heard anything from the plugin author about him renaming his function `bp_login_redirect()` so that it doesn’t conflict with the (now) native buddypress function with the same namesake? I notice that the plugin hasn’t been updated since 5-20-2012.

No, but I haven’t reached out to the author, either. Maybe you could 🙂

felixrami
    Participant

@felixrami

Hi, I get a WPMU 3.5.1 and tried to upgrade to BuddyPress to last version. Now I get a white screen of death in my home http://www.dealermarket.net but the other sites run fine, by instance http://www.dealermarket.net/actualidad

I cannot access to my Super admin network area:
    http://dealermarket.net/wp-login.php
    http://dealermarket.net/wp-admin/network.php … Error HTTP 500

or even throught Network Admin dashboard. So what should I to do?, before touch anything. I see in any site dashboard, at Plugin section, two Buddypress versions 1.6.1 and 1.7.1. Also I have removed the ../plugin/buddypress/ folder but the problem persist. Just one thing more, I upgraded bbpress before BP, at v.2.3.2

Note: I would need while fix it a solution to refresh/redirect from home site to another site to stay alive.

Thanks a lot.,
    Felix

felixrami
    Participant

@felixrami

as even removing the /buddypress/ folder doesn´t run, I belive “in any place” of database there are some wrong code. Is it true?

Thanks,
    felix

VegasKev88
    Participant

@vegaskev

@felixrami

• my best suggestion is to try and reinstall WordPress and BuddyPress & bbPress manually via ftp.
    • If that doesn’t work, you’re best bet is to reinstall the most recent versions of those (before the upgrade of course) and then upload your most recent .sql backup via phpmyadmin to restore your site pre-upgrade.
    • Once your site is back online, you can check your server logs for errors and report them here for assistance in finding the core issue and a best practice solution to implement to overcome it.
    • Then definitely move everything to a localhost so that you can try to replicate the issue

Also, when you try to replicate the issue on your localhost, try to upgrade without any other plugins activated to see if there is a conflict with any of your plugins and the update. You can also search for “buddypress + {your plugin name here}” for each of your plugins that haven’t issued an update since buddypress 1.7, as they could possibly be the culprit.

I hope this helps and good luck with restoring your site. It can be stressful, but you’ll get it bud.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Error after upgrade to 1.7’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar