Has Anybody Found a Definitive Solution for Spammer-Splogger Registrations?
Hello BuddyPress Community.
I have a Multi-Site BuddyPress site set up and working great, but we’ve begun to have a real problem with spammer/splogger registrations being created and immediately sending spam out to our users. Some users have recently threatened to abandon the site because they feel like the volume of spam has gotten to the point where it’s too much of an inconvenience to deal with.
I’ve searched the forums and investigated some of the different plugin options, but I feel like there’s no definitive solution. It seems that the best reports are that a number of modifications or plugins resulted in a reduced volume of spam, but I’ve seen very few reports from people who found the perfect combination of methods to eliminate the problem completely.
Has anybody out there had experience totally eradicating the spammer/splogger problem?
The suggested plugins seem to fall into a number of categories:
- BuddyPress reCAPTCHA plugin – http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-recaptcha/
- SweetCaptcha – http://buddypress.org/community/groups/sweetcaptcha-revolutionary-free-captcha-service/
New user registration moderation options:
- BuddyPress Registration Options plugin – http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-registration-options/
- WangGuard – http://buddypress.org/community/groups/wangguard/
- Ban Hammer – http://buddypress.org/community/groups/ban-hammer/
- Anti-Splog – http://buddypress.org/community/groups/anti-splog/
I’d love to hear about your experience dealing with this issue, including any recommendations that you believe are worth trying. Thank you very much.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.