Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Top
Bottom

[Resolved] One works, one doesn't – BuddyPress

  • Avatar of p2ab
    p2ab
    Participant

    @p2ab

    I got BuddyPress, bbPress and WordPress all to work in my test directory. Very cool. Time to run up the “live” one in another directory and get it ready for going live.

    Erp! No go. The “live” one likes default permalinks, which doesn’t work with bbPress. But when I make the settings exactly the same (including month-name permalinks) I get 404s.

    It isn’t a big deal, I can just move the “test” install and call it good. But it does have me wondering why one works and the other doesn’t. They have different databases, so the only thing I can think of is the .htaccess although each has its own.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Avatar of @modemlooper
    @modemlooper
    Moderator

    @modemlooper

    did you copy over the files or create the live one from fresh install?

    Avatar of p2ab
    p2ab
    Participant

    @p2ab

    The “live” one was a complete new install.

    I’m not too worried, just puzzled mostly. I found this topic on moving WP http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordPress_Its_Own_Directory so figured I’d use that to move the “test” install to a different directory (don’t want the functioning directory to be “wptest2″ lol) and run it off the root when I’m ready … most likely tomorrow.

    If I hadn’t just spent 3 weeks upgrading a half dozen sites and their software for a MySQL upgrade then another week to upgrade the OS I’d puzzle it out. But I’m a little tired of staring at the ‘puter screen for a few hours after I get home from the office and 8-10 hours of staring two computer monitors.

    Avatar of @mercime
    @mercime
    Keymaster

    @mercime

    @p2ab BuddyPress does not work on installations where you give WordPress its own directory per your link above http://codex.buddypress.org/user/before-installing/#system-and-server-requirements

    Avatar of p2ab
    p2ab
    Participant

    @p2ab

    It’s working.
    I used that to guide me in changing the directory name of the test install… it pointed out the issues that can crop up.

    I moved everything to a new directory, well, made a backup and renamed the old directory really.

    I ran searchreplace to update the url/ path and all is good :) Now it runs just fine when you go to the root of the site. Plus by making a backup of the DB and getting the old test to use it I still have a test install to play around with.

    The only hiccup was that I had my posts going to \blog and that was going to be the real directory for the live install… that confused me for a few minutes when everything else worked. Renamed the the physical \blog and all was well.

    I still haven’t figured out why one worked and the other didn’t, but its a moot point now.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.