Page Hierarchy Pain
(info on wp and bp versions, etc, at bottom of this post)
I’ve set up a page hierarchy like so:
Socialise (sitewide activity assigned to this)
- Members (members directory assigned to this)
- Groups (groups directory assigned to this)
- Forums (bbPress forum root assigned to this)
I’m running in to some problems as follows (some of which may be theme related and I’m checking in to that with theme developer):
a) Page titles are being overridden – eg. “Socialise” page is replaced with “Sitewide Activity” title.
b) Page hierarchy missing from breadcrumbs – eg. Members page has breadcrubs: Home / Members – should be Home / Socialise / Members
c) When viewing a group, I’m getting a blank page…
I’m using standard WP ‘page’ menu link type, set to Groups to get to my group directory page (which is working fine), the resultant URL /socialise/groups/
But then when I click on a group (either in the groups directory or anything else that provides a link to a group), the individual group page is blank. Example URL: /socialise/groups/test-group/
I have a hunch that it’s the page hierarchy that’s throwing it, in other words I assume BP has hard-coded assumption that all directory pages (such as Groups / Members / etc) are top-level.
I have same sort of problems with Members page if I put it as child page of my Socialise page.
Resetting the pages to be top-level solves the problem but it’s very annoying as I can’t structure the page hierarchy in a meaningful manner. There are some practical reasons why I want to use a page hierarchy, specifically there are plugins such as ‘Content Aware Sidebars’ that I can configure much more succinctly when things are hierarchically structured. In addition, it guarantees that my breadcrumbs will never reflect the desired structure of my site (not that they do anyway – they also seem hard-coded somewhere to assume that key pages are at root level).
For now I can just leave things like Members and Groups as top-level pages, but it would be most appreciated if there was some way to overcome this page hierarchy issue + fix breadcrumbs + not override page titles.
1. Which version of WordPress are you running?
2. Did you install WordPress as a directory or subdomain install?
* Uhm, no idea. I set up an account with wpengine.com and they automagically installed wp for me.
3. If a directory install, is it in root or in a subdirectory?
* Don’t know.
4. Did you upgrade from a previous version of WordPress? If so, from which version?
* No, fresh install.
5. Was WordPress functioning properly before installing/upgrading BuddyPress (BP)? e.g. permalinks, creating a new post, commenting.
* Yes, and it’s still working fine now (other than issue mentioned earlier).
6. Which version of BP are you running?
7. Did you upgraded from a previous version of BP? If so, from which version?
* Nope, fresh install.
8. Do you have any plugins other than BuddyPress installed and activated? If so, which ones?
* bbPress: Version 2.5.3
* bbPress – Private Replies: Version 1.1.1
* bbPress auto subscribe for new topics and replies: Version 1.0
* Bowe Codes: Version 2.1
* BP Blog Author Profile Link: Version 2.8.1
* BP Direct Menus: Version 1.0.0
* BuddyPress Follow: Version 1.2.1
* BuddyPress Moderation: Version 0.1.7
* Content Aware Sidebars: Version 2.0.3
* K Elements: Version 1.4.1
* Restrict Usernames: Version 3.4.1
* Revolution Slider: Version 4.3.6
* rtMedia for WordPress, BuddyPress and bbPress: Version 3.6.13
* Social Articles: Version 1.5.1
* Taxonomy Metadata: Version 0.4
* User Switching: Version 0.8.9
* WP Admin No Show: Version 1.4.3
* WPBakery Visual Composer: Version 4.0.5
9. Are you using the standard BuddyPress themes or customized themes?
* Custom: Kleo theme (latest version): http://themeforest.net/item/kleo-next-level-premium-wordpress-theme/6776630
10. Have you modified the core files in any way?
11. Do you have any custom functions in bp-custom.php?
* Not that I’m aware of.
12. If running bbPress, which version? Or did your BuddyPress install come with a copy of bbPress built-in?
* 2.5.3 – installed separately to BP
13. Please provide a list of any errors in your server’s log files.
* Just one error repeated several times a few hours ago when I was setting up some widgets:
[Tue Apr 29 23:14:25 2014] [error] [client 18.104.22.168] PHP Warning: array_map() [function.array-map]: Argument #2 should be an array in /nas/wp/www/cluster-2399/localise/wp-content/plugins/bowe-codes/includes/widget.php on line 88, referer: http://localise.wpengine.com/wp-admin/widgets.php
14. Which company provides your hosting?
* WP Engine
15. Is your server running Windows, or if Linux; Apache, nginx or something else?
* Linux, I assume. Not sure what webserver, but assume Apache.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.