Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Bebop – BuddyStream Alternative ? Yes – this one looks like a winner

• lindayeats
    Participant

@lindayeats

Anyone looking for a Buddystream alternative, your wait is over. This plugin works and is apparently resourced for further development. More platforms will surely be added. Although originally intended for educational and teaching resources it already imports, for example, twitter,flickr,youtube,vimeo & slideshare – for free. Could be a turbo-charger for buddypress. see http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bebop/

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Roger Coathup
    Participant

@rogercoathup

Any idea why the plugin is creating its own user_meta and options tables, and not using the standard WordPress tables for this?

lindayeats
    Participant

@lindayeats

No idea – but the developer appears to be responsive on https://github.com/lncd/bebop

danbpfr
    Participant

@chouf1

Quint
    Participant

@qrahaman

@lindayeats,

…definitely the Facebook platform should be added. Does this plugin does not allow a member to post out to the existing platforms? If there is a way to do this, I haven’t been able to find it. This is a key feature of Buddystream.

danbpfr
    Participant

@chouf1

danbpfr
    Participant

@chouf1

Don’t go to fast guys ! Read here:
    http://bebop.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/2012/09/06/bebop-goes-live/
    A problem which I foresee in the future is keeping Bebop up to date. The main concern here is when updated API’s are released. For example, the Twitter API’s have just been updated, and the Twitter API Bebop currently uses will be depreciated within the next 6 months. While we will be able to update API’s up until the project ends in the middle of October, it will be a little more difficult to keep Bebop up to date once the project ends.

lindayeats
    Participant

@lindayeats

Posting out to the existing platforms ? yes it is a feature of Buddystream but the developer of Buddystream appears to be snowed under at the minute and is currently unable to give a level of support the plugin users need. Moreover it is a premium plugin.

The posting out feature does not appear to be covered in bebop but is covered (although not simultaneous with posting) by the BuddyPress Share It /BuddyShare by modemlooper who appears to be as supportive as anyone could wish for. Hopefully Facebook, linkedin etc will eventually be integrated into bebop. I just hope the heavyweights on this forum (volunteers etc)if they have the time, will give bebop a good look over and perhaps contribute ideas wise to help it on its way as (IMHO) it could be a major addition to buddypress.

Dale Mckeown
    Participant

@dalemac

Sorry for the late replies – I have been quite busy!

Bebop was created from an academic perspective to aggregate OER content from around the web into BuddyPress.

There is nothing to stop anyone else creating a facebook /any other extension, just send me a pull request on Github and I will check it out! (https://github.com/lncd/bebop). There is also a Wiki on Github explaining the key steps to creating a plugin.

Bebop creates its own user_meta table because the options bebop uses is rather complicated; I decided to simplify this by temporarily using a custom table until such a point when I can switch over to the standard user_meta table. I will only ever do this if i can reliably and accurately remove data though!

As i have mentioned in the blog posts, the funding for Bebop has officially ran out so I cannot spend time from my ‘working day’ adding features. I will work on bebop as and when I can, in my own time, but i will always maintain that ‘paid’ work must come first. (I also do a lot of freelance work, not just around the ‘WP/BP’ theme.) Unless, of course, people want to ‘sponsor’ some particular work.

If you find bugs or have feature requests please add them to Github. This makes it easy for me to see what the priorities should be when I have some spare time to work on Bebop.

Thanks for testing and using bebop; its the first plugin I have made and it is nice to know that people are finding it useful.

Dale

Dale Mckeown
    Participant

@dalemac

Quick update,

I have added an extension to Bebop, as well as many other fixes and enhancements. (pagination for one ;) )/ I will be launching the latest version within the next day; im just waiting for a german language translation to be completed, and am giving everything a good test.

So, I am looking out for more ideas. What extensions do people want to see next? is there a feature that would be nice to have in Bebop? does documentation on obtaining oauth keys/secrets need adding?

If you think of anything, just open a ticket on github :) (https://github.com/lncd/bebop).

Thanks,

Dale

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Bebop – BuddyStream Alternative ? Yes – this one looks like a winner’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar