Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BP Multi Network

• jasonewillis
    Participant

@jasonewillis

I was hoping to use the BP Multi Network plugin to allow BP on all sites within a Multisite install. I created a help post on the plugin page here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-bp-multi-network-all-bp-links-point-to-root-site?replies=2 and was directed to ask here.

I read the plugin instructions as best I could but didn’t get the functionality I wanted. When I go to a new subdomain and click on the BP links from the nav bar, they all point to the root domain.

I tried first to find the folders listed in the instructions, but the instructions didn’t seem up-to-date…probably refers to WPMU I am guessing. After installing, I looked for the database items to rename but couldn’t find it. So, I figured that information might be dated also.

Next I deactivated BuddyPress on the network, installed bp multi network and activated BP on the test subdomain, but all links pointed to the root domain in BP. Then I tried to network activate and still all BP links point to the root domain. Any help would be great, I am trying to mesh BP and MultiSite for indiviudal classes withing an edu type site, so people using BP need to get from subdomain (i.e. a class or teacher) to subdomain. Thanks,

jw

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@jasonewillis as noted in BP Multi Network plugin’s information, you need either the free WP Multi Network plugin (not updated) or the premium Networks+ plugin. So at this time, if you haven’t purchased Networks+ plugin, there’s nothing much we can do.

There is an alternative and free plugin which allows BP on all sites within a multisite installation and you don’t need another plugin for it to work by @sbrajesh -> http://buddydev.com/plugins/buddypress-multi-network/

jasonewillis
    Participant

@jasonewillis

Thanks @mercime for the information. I see where it states: “Multiple WP networks can be created with either: WP Multi Network or Networks+” but since I just created Multisite with the config.php file, I didn’t think I needed an outdated or premium plugin. The information found to support the plugin is a bit confusing. I will check out your link.

Any thoughts on the Network+ Plugin? It sounds awesome to create arrays within arrays but I am just practicing on a small shared host. Would that work for low-to-no traffic practice sites?
    Thanks,
    jw

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

== “Multiple WP networks can be created with either: WP Multi Network or Networks+” ==

@jasonewillis WP MultiNetwork or Networks+ goes beyond multisite. It means each subsite in your multisite can become a network with subsites of its own. Both would require IMHO dedicated server and would choke a shared hosting account especially if you’re considering on adding BP on each network. If you’re going to upgrade your server, then yes, paying for Network+ is worth it. The plugin developer is active in the community.

Multisite with subdomain structure example
    – example.com (main site)
    – subsite1.example.com
    – subsite2.example.com
    – subsite3.example.com
    – subsite4.example.com

WP MultiNetwork and Networks+ for example
    – example.com (main site of all)

subsite1.example.com (main site of this network)
    – subsite1.example.com/subsite1
    – subsite1.example.com/subsite2
    – subsite1.example.com/subsite3

subsite2.example.com (main site of this network)
    – subsite2.example.com/subsite1
    – subsite2.example.com/subsite2
    – subsite2.example.com/subsite3

subsite3.example.com (main site of this network)
    – subsite3.example.com/subsite1
    – subsite3.example.com/subsite2
    – subsite3.example.com/subsite3

subsite4.example.com (main site of this network)
    – subsite4.example.com/subsite1
    – subsite4.example.com/subsite2
    – subsite4.example.com/subsite3

nsbp001
    Participant

@nsbp001

I think I may have found a solution to the multi-network problem that is pretty simple. It is to make multiple WP+BP installations but to use this trick,

https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Custom_User_and_Usermeta_Tables
    http://codegarage.com/blog/2009/04/using-a-custom-user-table-share-users-between-two-wordpress-installs/
    http://xentek.net/articles/528/implementing-the-wordpress-shared-users-table-trick/

to share users. So you will have N installations but all using the same user database. Has anybody every tried this for BP?

rickkumar
    Participant

@rickkumar

We are in the process of launching lots of independent network sites using single install of BP/WPMultisite and have already bought hosting, theme etc. All the sites will have their own unique domains but will share the user base. I am also going to use BP-Multi-network and Networks+ plugin.

But my host WPEngine just warned/advised that they have activated wildcard for subdomains but it may cause problems.

So what does it mean?

If my primary site is for example: MyDomain.com

And the other sites on the same install are My2ndDomain.com and My3rdDomain.com and so on……

Can I have the following withOUT any problems:

Subdomain1.MyDomain.com
    Dancing.MyDomain.com

Subdomain1.My2ndDomain.com
    Dancing.My2ndDomain.com

Subdomain1.My3rdDomain.com
    Dancing.My3rdDomain.com

Thank you.

nsbp001
    Participant

@nsbp001

I could get neither the BP-Multi-network nor the Networks+ plugins to work. Maybe it was because I was also trying to use the WPMUDEV Multi-domain plugin as well. I needed the latter because I wanted to be able to make new users on the respective networks while preserving the URL branding of each network. And I was doing that using subdirectories instead of subdomains, since I wanted Facebook-like branding, i.e., networkdomainurl.org/username (a la facebook.com/username). Turns out the Multi-domain plugin does not work with subdirectories, and I could not get a good read on what it would take to make it work.

So I hope it works that separate installations but editing wp-config.php such that they all share the same user and user meta database works.

I hope a BP core or plugin developer will comment on what other dependencies would be necessary to make to achieve my objectives.

rickkumar
    Participant

@rickkumar

Is it ok to launch your primary site as a BP/WPMultisite social network first and once everything is working well, then we can add other BP networks “later” with unique domains using BP-Multi-Network and Networks+ plugins?

Will that be ok or will that cause issues?

Please advise.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Best place to ask is at Networks+ plugin developer’s forums. They do provide support for their premium plugin.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘BP Multi Network’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar