Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

how to create and insert a custom activity type

• murasaki
    Participant

@iamsincere

hello fellow bp users and admins, I had this cool idea about adding to the activity type, and I want to give my users 1 extra type of update, which includes a two form fields: a title, and an text box. this would allow commenting as well. I would want this as its own activity type to be included in the activity stream along with all of the other types ( regular update, avatar update, friendships etc. ) Any ideas on an clean simple route? or is this going t be tricky? I sort of lol “sort of” have an idea looking at the plugin photo+tag how theres a activity type for it, but i still need help ;)

Thank you ahead of time

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• modemlooper

@modemlooper

murasaki
    Participant

@iamsincere

cool! thanks man! i have another question for you, how can i tie a form with this? would i use the fields options in the admin section? or do i hardcode it into the html? Im not the best at this php thing lol but im learning :P

modemlooper

@modemlooper

You need to learn how create your own BuddyPress component first. The skeleton component plugin is a good start and has commented examples.

If you do not know how to get form values you might be in over your head. I’d google a bit and find some tutorials on php.

murasaki
    Participant

@iamsincere

right, the bp skeleton component is where i’ve been playing around and learning a lot of things for some time now. I know how to set variables and call functions, but when it comes to storing the data via sql, im a bit lost. Im like 65% finished with my bp site, and i have just a couple of miscellaneous things to do, most are easy to figure out after a while, some aren’t. Might just have to hire someone. But i’d rather learn it if i can, cause I don’t like to nag devs with questions all the time lol

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘how to create and insert a custom activity type’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar