Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Privacy component–where is it?

• PJ
    Participant

@pjnu

It’s probably buried in any number of threads somewhere and it doesn’t have a download page (I checked Jeff’s site).

Could someone update me on what the latest with the privacy plugin is or point me to the latest entry? If there’s a download for 1.2.x please share that with me too.

Thank you.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)

• Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

@pjnu-

I’m still updating the Privacy Component for BP 1.2.x. I’m about 80% through, which means a new beta release will be in about 10 days–although that is only an estimate, not a hard promise.

I do not use my blog for status updates on projects. It is used primarily for posting my major thoughts and in-depth articles. If you want to get periodic updates on the Privacy Component, follow me on Twitter. This is were you will hear about the status of this project before anywhere else. I have been consistently tweeting periodic updates on the project–that is when there is anything of note to post.

PJ
    Participant

@pjnu

It’s great to hear from you. I’m sure you’re aware the attention is merely excitement and enthusiasm for your hard work on a simple and effective plugin.

The early adopters will be glad to offer you feedback. I only saw an article on the old privacy plugin so I wasn’t sure. I’ll note to look on your Twitter page for updates. Thank you very much.

paulhastings0
    Participant

@paulhastings0

Ditto on that.

WPChina
    Participant

@wordpresschina

@Jeff Sayre: Please make sure to have a donation button created for this plugin, as I will gladly put down some cash to you each time I can get a client do use buddypress for their projects. This privacy/security component is **very** important part that has previously been missing from BP….

WPChina
    Participant

@wordpresschina

Ah, we shall make a payment immediately. :)

Tks for the link!

Leah
    Participant

@gezan

@Jeff Sayre: What’s the latest on your privacy plugin? Anything anyone could help you with?

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

Progress is good. There are two more bugs to figure out and then a little new CSS to add and then I’ll set it free for testing. I don’t want to say when that will be as I’ve missed a few of my self-imposed deadlines, but I do look to get it out very soon so that it can be tested with BP 1.2.4 in anticipation of the big impending WP 3.0 / BP 1.3 release.

I appreciate the offer of assistance. Several people have graciously done so. Once this version is out, I would love to see a group of people begin to help support and update it. It is too important of a component to let a single person control. At that point, I’ll convert my private repository over to an Open Source repository for those involved.

gaysurfers
    Participant

@gaysurfers

Great, can’t wait…

paulhastings0
    Participant

@paulhastings0

Can’t wait either… Privacy would/will be phenomenal…

Mr. Bigsby
    Participant

@holgria

super excited.

Mark
    Participant

@wpsec

Here’s something much less robust than what Jeff is creating. This one lets users control privacy settings of their profile information, and admins have no overriding control. Sort of like Facebook does, and privacy settings appear when someone signs up, plus when they edit their profile data. You might have to adjust or add CSS to work with your particular theme. Works with the latest version of BP:

http://simplercomputing.net/2010/03/18/simple-buddypress-profile-privacy/

Inactive

Hi Jeff, hows everything going on the privacy component? one question: will users be able to restrict others from being able to add them as a friend? i.e. disable friend requests? I’m desperately looking for a way to do this! Thanks,
    Raoul

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

@raoul2

Yes, users will be able to turn off friend requests. The Component is pretty solid right now. I’m still waiting for BP 1.2.4 to come out. But, either way, look for the new beta release at the time of WordCamp Chicago or soon after.

gpo1
    Participant

@gpo1

yeah !!!

Muhammad Wasim
    Participant

@wasimbhalli

Is this component released? If not then how long will it take?

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

The BuddyPress Privacy Component is practically finished. However, I’m still waiting on a few patches to be added to BuddyPress. Hopefully the 1.2.5 release will incorporate those. If not, I’ll need to refactor a few functions to work around various BP hook issues. I’m also waiting on the release of WP 3.0.

As you may know, plugin developers can only estimate when bug fixes, patches, and new core releases will happen. My guesstimates have been way off as of late. But, once these issues are addressed in core and WP 3.0 is released, the Privacy Component will be released.

great news!

intimez
    Participant

@intimez

@jeffsayre visited your site to get details and looking forward to release. unsure why simple privacy not included in buddypress from start but glad you have something for us.

Leah
    Participant

@gezan

What tickets in trac are about the patches you need?

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

@gezan

This one in particular. It is also needed for all plugin developers as well!

https://trac.buddypress.org/ticket/2325

jjj has issued his own patch. I’m not sure why mine was not accepted and why his has not been implemented. It is a complex issue but with simple fixes that I detailed and provided in the patch. With my fixes, everything works well.

i’ve definitely hit that snag on adding new subnav items (and some other weird chain-events – if using the “loader” method to check bp first results in some hooks not catching – ie profile/settings nav items)

Leah
    Participant

@gezan

ok, so if this ticket is critical for the privacy plugin, I suggest we all wish for some @jjj action-love in trac :)

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

rich! @ etiviti ( @nuprn1 ) –

Have you seen my WordPress Hook Sniffer Plugin? I created it out of necessity to figure out all the BuddyPress hook issues I was having.

gpo1
    Participant

@gpo1

Great News ,awaiting

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • The topic ‘Privacy component–where is it?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar