Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Remove “are now friends” from activity stream

• LPH2005
    Participant

@lph2005

Is it possible to not show particular activity in the activity stream? I do not want “XYZ are now friends” to show. Is this possible? Is there a place to choose options for what shows up in the activity stream?

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

Not at this time. But, once my PRivacy Component is released, this will be possible–at least for each individual user to configure.

LPH2005
    Participant

@lph2005

Thank you for the reply. I look forward to the addition of the component then …

i can’t find the old post on here but you can hack it for now by unseting the activity type from the loop

something like this
    http://blog.etiviti.com/2010/02/buddypress-hack-remove-new-member-registration-from-activity-stream/

Mark
    Participant

@wpsec

Sad that they force a paypal donation on you before they will release it, in fact they should re label the button from ‘Donate’ to buy really !

Can’t believe something like this should be an issue i was trying to find a way to filter this activity posting out this morning but failed. There really needs to be finer control over the activity stream it simply looks terrible if loads of members have been accepting friendships.

Edit/ oh I see it’s your plugin M How much is the required ‘Donation’ then? :)

Mark
    Participant

@wpsec

Nobody is forcing you to do anything :-)

* For clarity’s sake – everyone is completely free to learn to write PHP code and work with the WP / BP code. All it takes is a little time and focus.

* If it were for sale their would be a fixed price… but there is no fixed price, because it’s not for sale. Read the GPL license for clarity.

* I find it interesting that some people (not indicating you @hnla) will trot right over to Starbucks or some other coffee shop one or more times a day and dump $5 to $7 on a cup of caffeine, but they won’t drop a dime on software that furthers their own special interests.

@M :) no I realise you are not forcing anyone into anything and yes it would be wonderful if more people would bother to learn a little coding, not just PHP but general coding, but they won’t, it’s the issue of ‘Time’ and ‘Focus’ few can be bothered with either nowadays, it’s an instant gratification society where things are ‘Free!’ no effort required!

Forgive my comments, they were – in part – prompted by my feelings towards a well known outfit that offers paid support. I fact I agree 110% with your sentiments expressed in that last paragraph, I too am dismayed at what I see as a reluctance to appreciate the value in work done to provide such things as plugins (not only plugins or BP but coding provided across the development world online) I would argue that we have created a rod for our own backs in many ways and engendered a belief in non coders that this work is something trivial trotted of ones editor in no time with little effort. I wish that everyone using a plugin would understand that in fact there was an absolute moral imperative to ‘Donate’ towards that time spent developing it, considering the download stats one can observe sometimes that are in the region of thousands of downloads for something popular, if people only donated $1.00 that would still mean the coders time was recompensed, perhaps generously?

I’m no lover of the culture that has sprung up but it’s a culture that has been created by us providing the means for the many to find an easy in to running apps / sites without having to expend any / too much energy. To some degree I would argue in favour of the ‘Donate’ aspect being expressed in a much better manner perhaps with a note of the development time to create or even a stipulated amount of such low value, at least a quarter the price of a cup of coffee, that people would in fact feel obliged and happy to have to pay so little for something that has so much value to them? Of course a hundred contra arguments around this sort of subject though.

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

Most of you probably know my thoughts on the issue of plugin developer remuneration (suffice it to say, that less then 0.1% of people who have downloaded my plugins donate. Yes, that is 0.1%, not 1%.) But, this thread has gone off topic. So, please let’s get back on topic. If someone wishes to create a new thread about the importance of donating to plugin developers, that would be swell.

LPH2005
    Participant

@lph2005

Maybe my question belongs as a feature request for 1.3 + …

Oh – No offense M but I didn’t download your plugin. With so many plugins now on the site I’m always concerned about one tripping over another.

Jeff, good point. I absolutely need to donate to a few more plugins. I did donate to the ajax chat plugin but never got a confirmation email from them. Oh well. Hopefully they received the money.

brennsuppa

@brennsuppa

I know I should not answer to this old thread, but since it was bothering me as well I just removed it inside the activity-loop with this:
    `while ( bp_activities() ) : bp_the_activity();
    if ( ‘friendship_created’ != bp_get_activity_type() ) :
    include( locate_template( array( ‘activity/entry.php’ ), false ) )
    endif;
    endwhile;`

@brennsuppa : thank you. for me it works really good.

abysshorror

@abysshorror

If you want only to show status updates, follow @brennsuppa‘s code but change `’friendship_created’ !=` for `’activity_update’ ==`

The possession of unlimited power will make a despot of almost any man. There is a possible Nero in the gentlest human creature that walks.

rockethead2
    Participant

@rockethead2

i know this is old, but i had this issue today and still no plugin solution.

no need to modify core code. it can all be done w css.

i wanted to hide friendship and join group notifications. easy as pie.

li.friends.friendship_created.activity-item.mini,li.groups.joined_group.activity-item.mini {display:none !important}

mrjarbenne
    Participant

@mrjarbenne

There is also a plugin that does this. It’s old, but it still works:

http://etivite.com/wordpress-plugins/buddypress-block-activity-stream-types/

Jonas Lundman
    Participant

@intervik

There is also a plugin that does this. It’s old, but it still works:

Wonderful, etivite was my candyman coupl years ago, and it seems I still need him 2014…

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Remove “are now friends” from activity stream’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar