Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

WP-United: BBpress alternative?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• 3sixty
    Participant

@3sixty

I doubt it would be easy to integrate WP-United, phpBB3, and BuddyPress. It certainly sounds like it would work in theory, doesn’t it? However, these people don’t seem to be reporting much success:
    http://www.wp-united.com/search.php?keywords=buddypress

I’ll give it a try tonight, and let you know what works and what fails.

Xevo
    Participant

@xevo

Tried it, doesn’t work with recent wordpress and recent phpBB, let alone buddypress.

3sixty
    Participant

@3sixty

Well, you are probably talking about WP 3.0. Not surprised the entire Web does not work with 3.0 yet.

WP-United has been around for a long time and is now a very mature software package so I would be surprised if it did not work with the stated specs:

Tested with: WordPress 2.9.x & phpBB 3.0.6

Inactive

It works, we just switched from it to BP.

The main problem with WPU is the lack of updates. There is only one developer. You end up locked in and not able to upgrade WP or phpBB. When we switched to BP last month we where still having to use WP 2.5. Recent updates make things a little easier, but its the future that concerns me. Your site will depend on WPU and updates are rare and the developer has disappeared for months up to a year.

I don’t mean to bash someones hard work, I’m just telling you what I wished someone told me.

3sixty
    Participant

@3sixty

I integrated phpbb3-WP last night using WP-United and it’s not working perfectly yet. I think I need to adjust phpBB3 user permissions.

The lock-in issue is definitely a concern – if Xevo is right that WP-United works not with WP 3.0, then you won’t be able to move forward until the WP-United developer updates his code (or you figure out his code).

@dennis_h the one other issue just occurring to me is that even if you can get it running with BP, it will NOT integrate with the BP Activity Stream unless more coding is done. Am I correct on that?

@dennish – you do realize WPMU is now merged with single WP?

And I’d like to counter that the dev (Donncha) was absent for up to a year. Many, many times development was delayed simply because of feedback from the userbase.

The latest WPMU version is 2.9.2 – which is absolutely current with the latest WP version. Why you were locked in to using 2.5 is beyond me.

Inactive

@Andrea_r I don’t know why you brought it up or think I don’t know, but for the record WPMU will not be merged with a single WP until 3.0 is launched. Furthermore WPU is not compatible with WPMU.

http://www.wp-united.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=703&start=0&hilit=wpmu

anyway….

I clearly said it works with current WP and phpbb versions.

As you can see on the WPU site (http://www.wp-united.com) there is a gap on posts from:

December 2, 2007:
    Version 0.6.0 released.

The next post

May 10, 2009
    “Many apologies for not posting here for such a long time. WP-United development has been stalled for the past year while I have had to attend with personal life — a new job, and more recently, the financial crisis. The current version of WP-United up on the download page here is out of date — it will need a few changes in order to work with the latest versions of phpBB3 and WordPress.”

May 31, 2009
    Version 0.7.0 released.

That’s over 18 months.

@3sixty Not only will it not integrate into the activity stream it won’t integrate profiles.

Inactive

@Andrea_r

Just realized you didn’t read the thread before commenting.

This is about WP-United (WPU) not WPMU.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘WP-United: BBpress alternative?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar