Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Adding more fields to groups

• paulmontwill
    Participant

@paulmontwill

Guys, I struggle to find any simple solution to add additional fields to groups. Do you have any idea how to do it?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• modemlooper

@modemlooper

Elaborate? What fields?

MinimalPress
    Participant

@minimalpress

@Modemlooper

having the same prob, just want to add one field, ‘location’ for the membersmap on buddypress.org

can some1 build a basic ‘add field to group effort’ that we can work off from? Also would I add it to the group meta?

Worst comes to worst Ill donate towards this, I just need a ‘starting point’ but i think it could benefit a lot of the developers.

MinimalPress
    Participant

@minimalpress

Been searching more on the forums and still nothing but like 5 other people have asked about this with no helpful answers, “can some1 build a basic ‘add field to group effort’ that we can work off from? Also would I add it to the group meta?”

This would take one of the experienced developers like 15 mins to write up as a plug-in.. So please tell me if this is inappropriate, ‘at’ mentioning the mod’s.. Hope I dont get in trouble but no1 is willing to help..

@r-a-y
    @DJPaul
    @jeffsayre
    @johnjamesjacoby
    @MrMaz

nit3watch
    Participant

@nit3watch

Im also begging some1 to do something like this, been trying to work off other plug-in’s but most dont work due to new bp version.

Willing to help with what? have you actually stopped and looked carefully at the options in the dashboard under the BuddyPress section? Is this what you are talking about? If not then you MUST be far clearer on what it is that you are trying to achieve.

Couple of points of order for future reference: telling a developer how long something will take when one can’t do it ones self is logically flawed and rude, please avoid doing so :)

Calling on those people directly to rush to sort out your issue is also most wrong, do not attempt to grab the attention of specific people on a tech forum unless there is a particular reason that only they can deal with, those five guys you @mention are all far busier than you can imagine and should not be badgered unless really necessary, simply state your question there are plenty of people on the forum that can help just be slightly patient and prepared to expand on your requirements.

nit3watch
    Participant

@nit3watch

K well Iv’e given it a go. Looks like the data isn’t being saved in group meta. Im not sure when it comes to BP. Could you take a look @hnla and let me know if its in the right direction. I worked off the group tags plugin. The tags plugin saves it to group meta, don’t know if this is the right thing to do but saving it like ‘name’ or ‘description’ of a group is beyond me for now it seems.

It adds a field in group creation step1. called location.
    *wont let me past the code here ganna try upload it to pastbin or something quick

Here: http://pastebin.com/3hKM8uYP

Haven’t got a huge amount of time of time to look in detail, as trying to get through stuff at the moment which ‘m not really feeling the love for.

I would have thought that it’s simply requiring the DB field creation stages? Had a quick look through the group-tag plugin but either missing it’s point or it’s not working on my install.

What perhaps may help is to keep a copy of the Skeleton component handy as that might help with DB input stuff? in the file bp-example-classes.php is a constructor that contains an example ‘save’ to DB function which you may be able to utilise in a simpler form.

I actually think this idea has legs; the ability to create extra fields for the group description? wouldn’t be a bad idea and could be used in a variety of ways. If you can get that data saved to DB I’ll try testing things and see if I can help out in some small way although the watchful eye on one of the others might be more help but best to get as much working first as possible.

nit3watch
    Participant

@nit3watch

ta @hnla, group-tags also wasn’t working on my install, you have to go to admin panel>my account>groups>tags ( its blank-just have to name it ) and you can enter the tags there. Doesn’t work on the group creation which thinking of it now, is probably what the problem is >.<

Been looking for guidance on where I can find ‘help’ files/plugins for like 3 weeks to do this, learning as I go along. Ill drop the group-tag stuff, just keeping the form in the group creation steps and try looking at the skeleton competent as you mentioned.

catchit
    Participant

@catchit

Hi, I’m also looking for a really simple way to add 1 meta data to groups, if anyone knows where to look please guide me…
    @nit3watch

nit3watch
    Participant

@nit3watch

try this out: http://pastebin.com/LLK9emtd
    Save the code as gfield in your plugins folder and activate it. It adds a additional field to step1 of group creation

Change Trading hours to what ever you want

catchit
    Participant

@catchit

Hey this plugin is friggen awesome, very simple and does exactly what is needed. I was wondering though, do you know how to populate the field when people try to edit it? @nit3watch

nit3watch
    Participant

@nit3watch

@catchit nope, but I that code is off the groups tags plug-in. I think it allows you to edit the tags, which shouldn’t be hard to integrate into the code I gave you

Edit: I check the group tags plug-in and it does allow you to edit the tags. If I have some time tomorrow Ill have a look and see what I can do.

catchit
    Participant

@catchit

Hey, I’ve tried incorporating this into my site, but i realized there is no way for a user to delete the data since it does nothing if the fields are empty. Is this related to lack of ability to populate fields? I’m wondering how you approached this? @nit3watch

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Adding more fields to groups’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar