Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Advanced settings for group forums?

• If I want to change up the settings for BBPress inside of Buddypress, do I donwload BBpress and go from there? I don’t want to mess anything up.

Under buddypress, if I press forums setup, it just says that it has been set up correctly.

This is probably a stupid question with an obvious answer, so my apologies.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • For the most straightforward or trivial installation of bbPress 1.x, you are limited in what you can do. What do you want to do?

enderandrew

@enderandrew

The forum solution with BP is fairly simple. There aren’t many advanced settings for the forums.

BP ships with an integrated version of BBPress. You’re probably already using that right now, and you don’t need to install BBPress separately. However, if you so desired, you could install BBPress separately and point BP to it.

I suppose a better question is, what exactly are you looking to accomplish? What kind of settings are you looking for?

enderandrew

@enderandrew

The forum solution with BP is fairly simple. There aren’t many advanced settings for the forums.

BP ships with an integrated version of BBPress. You’re probably already using that right now, and you don’t need to install BBPress separately. However, if you so desired, you could install BBPress separately and point BP to it.

I suppose a better question is, what exactly are you looking to accomplish? What kind of settings are you looking for?

I want to be able to create sub categories, polls, as well as advanced sorting of the threads.

I also am experiencing a bug (or just a weird error) when I click a thread, it just says
    “There are no posts for this topic.”

One more thing – are there any plugins that allow for advanced settings for groups?

modemlooper

@modemlooper

You should use bbpress separately. You could create a poll plugin with the group extension api.

I’m completely new to programming-
    Is a poll plugin difficult to create?
    And by ‘use buddypress seperately’ does that mean that I should use it as a plugin and link buddypress to it?

Anyone?
    If it’s difficult, please suggest a forum plugin/service that I could use.
    I desperately need the ability to “like” somebody’s forum post, as well as create polls.
    (it still must integrate with groups and be private to anybody not allowed to access it)

One thing- I don’t seem to have any databases (according to WP-DBmanager plugin) that have to do with BBpress. It says in a different forum topic that I should have
    “wp_bb_forums
    wp_bb_meta
    wp_bb_terms
    wp_bb_term_relationships
    wp_bb_term_taxonomy
    wp_bb_topics”

if this is the problem, how do I add these databases?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

WP/BP versions? Single WP or Multisite? If multisite is BP installed in main site or secondary site?

WP- 3.2.1
    BP- 1.2.9
    Single WP
    Normal 1-step install of bbPress.

Are there any known plugins that will mess with bbPress?

@mercime anything you can do to help?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Single WP or Multisite? BP installed in domain root or secondary blog? Linux or Windows server?

Change to bp-default theme.
    Deactivate all plugins except BP.
    Groups are enabled in your BP Settings.
    Check root where you installed WP (domain root, subfolder or subdomain), if there’s a bb-config.php, delete it. Also, make sure you didn’t install/activate BP in a subfolder/subdomain named the same as one of BP components – i.e. shouldn’t be groups, members, forums, etc. you get the drift.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@esploded Then go to dashboard menu BuddyPress > Forums Setup and create new bbPress installation.

Thanks @mercime for the advice, but it still won’t work! ARGH.
    Setup:
    Single WP, MAMP (mac server), Not on a domain yet, but is on the root of MAMP/htdocs/wordpress
    I did all of the steps above, but still no use. I hate you “There are no posts for this topic.”!

Also, what do you mean by I didn’t “install/active BP in a subfolder/subdomain”? My buddypress site just has a tab under “community” which leads to the groups, forums, etc.

Also about my original question too (The problem still isn’t fixed), are polls and “likes” hard to make?

@mercime any advice?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@esploded

== are polls and “likes” hard to make? ==
    Let’s just say it’s not easy and that it takes time to make. There are polls and likes WP plugins. Getting them to work with BP i.e. show up in activity stream, etc. will require additional work on the plugins.

== Single WP, MAMP ==
    Sorry, I use XAMPP.

@djpaul any advice?

I’m actually thinking about dropping buddypress if this doesn’t get itself fixed.

ewebber
    Participant

@ewebber

@esploded I’d suggest starting with a clean version of wp/bp you can set up a new site on your MAMP, if that doesn’t work then there is something up with your settings.
    If you want help from the forum it might be worth you setting this up on a server rather then keeping it local so you can show people.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Advanced settings for group forums?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar