Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can’t send email from BuddyPress to addresses that use country code extensions

• We are using BuddyPress for an international organization and some of the members have email addresses that end with country code extensions (e.g. user @domain.ca, user @domain.hu). When sending a message via BuddyPress Members Messages area to these members, we encounter an error that reads: There was an error sending that message, please try again.

Has anyone experienced issues with sending messages via BP to email addresses with country code extensions? Is there a workaround? We haven’t been able to find any validation within the BP code that would prevent messages from being sent to these addresses, so we’re not sure why we’re getting this error.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Is this then an issue with Messages only? In other words, those who register on your site using email addresses that end with country code extensions receive activation emails?.

The private messaging doesn’t use the email addresses directly. I spent a bunch of hours this last weekend fixing problems with the private messaging system in certain situations involving differences between the user’s log in, and user nickname fields, and when the compat mode constant is set (I assume you have set this in your wp-config.php if you are logging in with email addresses — can you confirm?

I haven’t confirmed whether standard WordPress notifications are being delivered to email addresses with country code extensions. I’ll give that a try and report back.

Paul – we are using the standard WP user account usernames for login, not email addresses. I didn’t do the original WP install, but I checked the wp-config file and I didn’t see anything relating to compatibility mode.

Ok – so you’re going to your profile’s private message, compose; what type of search term do you enter in the name field? Do you get any autocompletion results (an AJAX script ought to be running)? Does the search term match up to a particular user?

Just trying to understand where it’s falling out. BuddyPress private messaging doesn’t use email addresses.

Here’s where we encounter the error. First we go to the Members tab and select a member. On that member’s page, we click the “send private message” button. After filling in the email form and submitting, the page is returned with this error: “There was an error sending that message, please try again.” This only happens when attempting to send to a user with a country code extension in their email address. (We figured this out by looking at the user accounts that we couldn’t send messages to – the ones that triggered the error all had email addresses with country codes.)

I’ve since confirmed that normal WordPress notifications are working for users who have email addresses with country code extensions. (I asked one of these users to retrieve their password from the login screen and they received the resulting email message sent from WordPress.) So the problem seems to be specific to BuddyPress private messages.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Can’t send email from BuddyPress to addresses that use country code extensions’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar