Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Default Theme: Menus on narrow screens or old laptops

• Hi,

I am having a problem sussing why on version 1.5.5 the default theme still does not behave correctly on narrow screens/windows or on old laptops with narrow screens.

The menu items on a window less than about 750pixels wide suddenly deside to go two to a line and extend downwards in rows.

Anyone got a fix for this. It is obviously programmed behaviour as it behaves the same on all browsers I have tried it on.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• aces
    Participant

@aces

It is probably the https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/tags/1.5.5/bp-themes/bp-default/_inc/css/responsive.css stylesheet kicking in.

You should be able to use @media in your child theme stylesheet…..

Ah great, sorry how do I deal with this in the child theme’s style.css ?

Aaron

aces
    Participant

@aces

I’ve just done it in a non bp child theme – wrapping the new css in extra brackets for @media in style.css – ie:
    `
    @ media (max-width: 520px) {
    .my-class {
    float: none;
    width:100%;
    }
    .whatever-class {
    float: none;
    width:100%;
    }
    }
    `
    Note the two sets of brackets…

Please Note: There should not be a space between `@` and `media` but as someone has used that as a nickname it turns it automatically into a mention and I don’t know if it’s possible to disable that

Cheers I will experiment :)

I have had to remove the ‘responsive.css’ functionality as I am not worried about supporting Apple iPad and iPhone’s.
    I put the following in the Child Theme’s ‘functions.php’ :-

`
    function bp_head_action() {
    remove_theme_support( ‘bp-default-responsive’ );
    }
    add_action( ‘bp_head’, ‘bp_head_action’);
    `

If there is a better solution that does not cause weird behaviour on old laptops XP which a lot of the clients I have use I would like to know. Otherwise I may code in a user option at somepoint maybe.

Thanks,

Aaron

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Default Theme: Menus on narrow screens or old laptops’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar