Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum threads not created…

• drifter0658

@drifter0658

Wordpress 2.9.2 BuddyPress 1.2.4.1

After an edit/update of a thread in my forum, I am now getting this message when I try to create a new thread “There was an error when creating the topic”

Although the thread creation was no problem until I performed the edit/update, I deactivated plugins and still have the problem.

My questions are:
    1) any clue where to fix this?
    2) if I reinstall the forums, will I lose forum content?

Thanks!
    Alex

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)

• drifter0658

@drifter0658

Bump

drifter0658

@drifter0658

bump

drifter0658

@drifter0658

bump

drifter0658

@drifter0658

bump

drifter0658

@drifter0658

Okay..this is getting troublesome. Now, none of the forum threads are showing up when the link is engaged.

Will reinstall lose my content and/or fix this?

drifter0658

@drifter0658

bump

drifter0658

@drifter0658

I am stumped. I have reinstalled the Forums, the links to the threads still lead to nowhere. Does anyone have a hint?

drifter0658

@drifter0658

ack! Now I am getting expletives hurled at me…..help!

drifter0658

@drifter0658

bump

drifter0658

@drifter0658

I have again deactivated every plugin, except for BuddyPress, reinstalled the forums on the existing BP install. I try to create a forum post and I get an error say I there was a problem creating that post. Go back into the forum and the title AND permalink for the post are visible. I open the post, and it says there were no posts for that topic.

All of the forum threads are affected.

Any ideas?

drifter0658

@drifter0658

bump

sgkovan
    Participant

@sgkovan

I get this same problem with WP3.0. Anyone else?

drifter0658

@drifter0658

…ahem….bump

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Odd. Can you confirm the settings in your bb-config.php match your DB settings, etc…

Can you reply to existing topics? Or just cannot create new ones? Does this happen for all groups?

drifter0658

@drifter0658

I’ll look at the config files, but all groups are affected and no replies can be made to existing threads.

drifter0658

@drifter0658

The config files all look square with the set-up, but I may have stumbled onto something; only because I am working on my 4th network set-up in a month.

The install in question on this thread has been shut-down mysteriously on several occasions in the last 2 weeks or so. The first time it happened there seem to be a Twitter belch that affected a number of different Twitter apps. I though nothing of it until about the third or forth crash. To bring the site back up, I disabled Tweetstream.

When I look back over my notes, the Forum issues started about the time of the first Twitter related crash.

I would not have connected the two issues totally until something that occurred this evening. I have been putting the final touches on the latest install which includes Tweetstream. I had tested my forums set up thoroughly. Everything was solid as a brick shi….well…you know. But, after I finally got Tweetstream to go online and received a fatal error on my first update that included a tweet. The forums were as broke as the original install.

The other two installs do not have the Tweetstream plugin active, and the forums are running flawless.

I realize I need (and I will) take this up with the Tweetstream folks, but I need a little direction as how I can recover my forums. The networks I have set up are pretty darned active and a lot of the members camp out at the to work.

Any ideas?

drifter0658

@drifter0658

Wondering if I should delete and reinstall BuddyPress?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Huh… Very bizarre.

I consider deleting and reinstalling as admitting defeat, which isn’t something I take lightly. :) But if your site is in a position to be able to start over, it’s a good way to rule pretty much everything else out.

drifter0658

@drifter0658

LOL…I agree with you. Really, after nearly a week’s worth of work on the newest and 11 months running at the oldest, I don’t want to start over.

I can see the pre-Tweetstream threads at both sites, but can’t view the content. Neither will let me create new threads.

Additionally, when I have tried to reinstall the forums, both current and fresh, there is no change. And when I reinstall fresh, I get a parsing error :Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘%’, expecting ‘]’ in /home/drifter1/public_html/extremewritingnow.com/bb-config.php on line 73

Line 73 looks like this reasonable facsimile :
    define(‘BB_LOGGED_IN_SALT’, “#2yB1 @8^e!-lM.%yqNUr^ju+2OLP ~ hDJ$GkeMIP[3%mwDm3*sbNpNdZSq(8c^.”)

When I chage it to this:
    define(‘BB_LOGGED_IN_SALT’, “#2yB1 @8^e!-lM.[yqNUr^ju+2OLP ~ hDJ$GkeMIP3%mwDm3*sbNpNdZSq](8c^.”)
    the error goes away, but I still have no functional forums.

Am I getting closer?

drifter0658

@drifter0658

sgkovan
    Participant

@sgkovan

Strange.. I can reply to topics w/o error. Only starting a new thread gives me the error. Sorry I can’t help a lot, I’m not really into programming.

Another smaller problem I have is when I click on Forums tab, the All Topics subtab shows 3 threads but “Sorry, there were no forum topics found.” I have to click on the All Topics subtab to refresh to see the 3 threads. I am guessing it wasn’t designed to be this way.

Oh yes, I’m using Chrome (Chromium actually) on XP, it that helps.

Brendan Rohan
    Participant

@brendanrohan

I am having the same issue – which is a problem because I’m not a coder and I have a now-dead forum on a brand new site.
    It’s weird though because I can post… but none of my members can. Luchy for me they haven’t noticed yet as they aren’t that internet savvy…

I have a test site with exactly the same plug-in set up but it works fine for both admin and a test subscriber – so go figure! I’m thinking it may be a widget conflict rather than a plugin as I have switched them all off and on and nothing. Could this be possible?

All this was happening on wp 2.9.? ( the last version before wp3.0 ) and on the last version of bp before the latest version.

drifter0658

@drifter0658

bump

kalas
    Participant

@kalas

Had the same problem, for me a datebase problem had caused it. The table for forum posts (wp_bb_posts) in the MySql-database had crashed so I had to repair it.

drifter0658

@drifter0658

bump

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • The topic ‘Forum threads not created…’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar