Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum threads not created…

• Wordpress 2.9.2 BuddyPress 1.2.4.1

After an edit/update of a thread in my forum, I am now getting this message when I try to create a new thread “There was an error when creating the topic”

Although the thread creation was no problem until I performed the edit/update, I deactivated plugins and still have the problem.

My questions are:
    1) any clue where to fix this?
    2) if I reinstall the forums, will I lose forum content?

Thanks!
    Alex

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Bump

bump

bump

bump

Okay..this is getting troublesome. Now, none of the forum threads are showing up when the link is engaged.

Will reinstall lose my content and/or fix this?

bump

I am stumped. I have reinstalled the Forums, the links to the threads still lead to nowhere. Does anyone have a hint?

ack! Now I am getting expletives hurled at me…..help!

bump

I have again deactivated every plugin, except for BuddyPress, reinstalled the forums on the existing BP install. I try to create a forum post and I get an error say I there was a problem creating that post. Go back into the forum and the title AND permalink for the post are visible. I open the post, and it says there were no posts for that topic.

All of the forum threads are affected.

Any ideas?

bump

sgkovan
    Participant

@sgkovan

I get this same problem with WP3.0. Anyone else?

…ahem….bump

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Odd. Can you confirm the settings in your bb-config.php match your DB settings, etc…

Can you reply to existing topics? Or just cannot create new ones? Does this happen for all groups?

I’ll look at the config files, but all groups are affected and no replies can be made to existing threads.

The config files all look square with the set-up, but I may have stumbled onto something; only because I am working on my 4th network set-up in a month.

The install in question on this thread has been shut-down mysteriously on several occasions in the last 2 weeks or so. The first time it happened there seem to be a Twitter belch that affected a number of different Twitter apps. I though nothing of it until about the third or forth crash. To bring the site back up, I disabled Tweetstream.

When I look back over my notes, the Forum issues started about the time of the first Twitter related crash.

I would not have connected the two issues totally until something that occurred this evening. I have been putting the final touches on the latest install which includes Tweetstream. I had tested my forums set up thoroughly. Everything was solid as a brick shi….well…you know. But, after I finally got Tweetstream to go online and received a fatal error on my first update that included a tweet. The forums were as broke as the original install.

The other two installs do not have the Tweetstream plugin active, and the forums are running flawless.

I realize I need (and I will) take this up with the Tweetstream folks, but I need a little direction as how I can recover my forums. The networks I have set up are pretty darned active and a lot of the members camp out at the to work.

Any ideas?

Wondering if I should delete and reinstall BuddyPress?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Huh… Very bizarre.

I consider deleting and reinstalling as admitting defeat, which isn’t something I take lightly. :) But if your site is in a position to be able to start over, it’s a good way to rule pretty much everything else out.

LOL…I agree with you. Really, after nearly a week’s worth of work on the newest and 11 months running at the oldest, I don’t want to start over.

I can see the pre-Tweetstream threads at both sites, but can’t view the content. Neither will let me create new threads.

Additionally, when I have tried to reinstall the forums, both current and fresh, there is no change. And when I reinstall fresh, I get a parsing error :Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘%’, expecting ‘]’ in /home/drifter1/public_html/extremewritingnow.com/bb-config.php on line 73

Line 73 looks like this reasonable facsimile :
    define(‘BB_LOGGED_IN_SALT’, “#2yB1 @8^e!-lM.%yqNUr^ju+2OLP ~ hDJ$GkeMIP[3%mwDm3*sbNpNdZSq(8c^.”)

When I chage it to this:
    define(‘BB_LOGGED_IN_SALT’, “#2yB1 @8^e!-lM.[yqNUr^ju+2OLP ~ hDJ$GkeMIP3%mwDm3*sbNpNdZSq](8c^.”)
    the error goes away, but I still have no functional forums.

Am I getting closer?

sgkovan
    Participant

@sgkovan

Strange.. I can reply to topics w/o error. Only starting a new thread gives me the error. Sorry I can’t help a lot, I’m not really into programming.

Another smaller problem I have is when I click on Forums tab, the All Topics subtab shows 3 threads but “Sorry, there were no forum topics found.” I have to click on the All Topics subtab to refresh to see the 3 threads. I am guessing it wasn’t designed to be this way.

Oh yes, I’m using Chrome (Chromium actually) on XP, it that helps.

Brendan Rohan
    Participant

@brendanrohan

I am having the same issue – which is a problem because I’m not a coder and I have a now-dead forum on a brand new site.
    It’s weird though because I can post… but none of my members can. Luchy for me they haven’t noticed yet as they aren’t that internet savvy…

I have a test site with exactly the same plug-in set up but it works fine for both admin and a test subscriber – so go figure! I’m thinking it may be a widget conflict rather than a plugin as I have switched them all off and on and nothing. Could this be possible?

All this was happening on wp 2.9.? ( the last version before wp3.0 ) and on the last version of bp before the latest version.

drifter0658

@drifter0658

bump

kalas
    Participant

@kalas

Had the same problem, for me a datebase problem had caused it. The table for forum posts (wp_bb_posts) in the MySql-database had crashed so I had to repair it.

drifter0658

@drifter0658

bump

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • The topic ‘Forum threads not created…’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar