Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Group forums working yet not working

• Burt Adsit
    Participant

@burtadsit

Yes, I have been able to get the group forums component to work and yet it doesn’t work. It works really slick on my dev box but I can’t get it to work on my live server. Go figure. Well, I’m not alone I guess. It isn’t working on testbp.org either. I tried creating a new group, enabling the forum for it and can’t post there either.

Anybody succeed in getting this to work yet? I’ve been beating my head against it for the past 6 hrs without luck.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 102 total)

• net3s
    Participant

@net3s

When I create a group with forum, its creating a forum on http://ninofonline.be/bbpress/.

But i can’t post a topic. (http://ninofonline.be/)

bebopcool
    Participant

@bebopcool

wpmu trak version 1574

bbpress 1.0 alpha 2

buddypress 658

pb with cookie integration between bbpress and wordpress

i cannot make the user created for buddypress in bbpress an admin as i cannot access to bbpres user profile

(it gives a 404 error on every user imported from wordpress)

it tried to use the bbpress integration function that allows to give a role to wordpress users :

the new forumbdpress is put as an administrator in wpmu

but he does not appear as an administrator is bbpress

surely those pb are not directly linked with your plugin

but it makes it working not properly :

the groups forums seems to be created but

i cannot create topics in groupes forums

Jose Conti
    Participant

@jconti

Same, the groups forums be created but I cannot create topics in groupes forums.

And I have an error,

when i go to http://www.domain.tld/wp-admin/options.php

Warning: array_search() [function.array-search]: Wrong datatype for second argument in /home/*******/public_html/wp-admin/includes/plugin.php on line 1044

I don’t have any plugin installed , only Buddypress.

Wardee
    Participant

@wardeh

bebopcool: “i cannot make the user created for buddypress in bbpress an admin as i cannot access to bbpres user profile (it gives a 404 error on every user imported from wordpress)”

That’s what happens to me, too.

The forums are with the groups now, but no posts can be added.

For people that it is not working for: Are you sure the new user you created in bbpress for BuddyPress to use has admin privileges in bbPress? Basically the account that you enter into site admin > group forums?

Wardee
    Participant

@wardeh

Andy,

In my case, I create the user like you said in the readme. Then I go to bb-admin > users and when I click on “edit” for that user to give admin privileges it takes me to that user’s member page of the main site (/main-site/members/user-name/profile). I can’t edit forum privileges at all.

So, no, this user does not have admin privileges because something is not allowing me to edit the privileges.

Burt Adsit
    Participant

@burtadsit

wardeh and others,

there is a little link to an .htaccess file you need to put in the bbpress directory. In bbpress settings > general settings > pretty permalink types you’ll see a notice that you need to create a .htaccess file with a link to ‘privided here’. Cut and paste, send it up to your bbpress root directory.

bbpress needs a .htaccess file for apache if you are running permalinks and not the xxx.php?something type of url.

Wardee
    Participant

@wardeh

Thanks, Burt.

Now I am able to edit users. :D

Still can’t get forum posts to work. Any suggestions?

Question: Do I have to do the user mapping in Settings > WordPress Integration in the bb-admin?

installed, integrated, user created, upgraded to admin, pluggin installed, plugin activated, xml etc enabled, pingbacks enabled, wpmu->group forums updated, group created, (if I missed something in the list I did it…read the install several times) error message received:

“There was an error posting that topic.”

The forum was created for the group

I am running BP on a shared account.

Burt Adsit
    Participant

@burtadsit

@wardeh, bearuser

I’m having the same problems. The forums aren’t getting created because bp tries to go verify and get an url to use from bbpress. bbpress is reporting 404 for me when bp (actually mu) tries to get that url from bbpress. It’s the url in group forums admin screen.

On a dev machine I’ve got running everything works fine. On the live server it doesn’t because of that. Still trying to debug it. If anyone wants to lend a different perspective the failure is in:

function discover_pingback_server_uri($url, $deprecated = 2048) {

$pingback_str_dquote = 'rel="pingback"';

$pingback_str_squote = 'rel='pingback'';

/** @todo Should use Filter Extension or custom preg_match instead. */

$parsed_url = parse_url($url);

if ( ! isset( $parsed_url ) ) // Not an URL. This should never happen.

return false;

$response = wp_remote_get( $url, array( 'timeout' => 2, 'httpversion' => '1.1' ) );

if ( is_wp_error( $response ) )

return false;

if ( isset( $response ) )

return $response;

// Not an (x)html, sgml, or xml page, no use going further.

if ( isset( $response ) && preg_match('#(image|audio|video|model)/#is', $response) )

return false;

$contents = $response;

[snip] and other junk beyond that…

That lives in /wp-includes/comment.php

The param $url is fine. It’s what is in the group forums admin screen. The point of failure is when it gets a $response back from wp_remote_get(). It gets 404. So functions higher up the food chain that eventually call this think that there isn’t a ‘pingback server uri’. So nothing happens. No forum creation. No forum, no topics. No nothing.

That’s as far as I’ve gotten with this. Usually explaining it makes it clearer but not this time. Gotta go delve into bbpress and see why it’s returning 404 for a simple ‘gimme the header and your html for the url where you live’.

Okay – are people downloading the alpha zip of bbPress form bbpress.org?

If so – it will not work, as it does not contain some needed new functions in the trunk.

I’m talking with Sam and he is going to update the zip file to the latest. For now – please check out bbpress trunk for subversion and use that. Let me know if that works.

gogoplata
    Participant

@gogoplata

I’ve been trying to install bbPress using the trunk but I can’t get it to work at all – the forums just load white/blank instead of the installer. I’ve installed and integrated the 1.0 Alpha zip no problem but have had no luck with the latest revision, including manually.

I keep getting a “backpress” error when trying to intall trunk bbpress.

net3s
    Participant

@net3s

I think you need backpress.

http://backpress.automattic.com/

net3s
    Participant

@net3s

It works with the last bbPress trunk and backpress.

gogoplata
    Participant

@gogoplata

As Andy said they might, it looks like the bbPress team has bumped it up to Alpha 3 and updated the zip.

gogoplata
    Participant

@gogoplata

I’ve been working on this all morning but haven’t had much luck so far using trunk WPMU and the new zip bbPress. I have the users integrated between WPMU and bbPress but can’t get the cookies/SSO to work. Anyone else get it setup yet?

Mine is now posting. (still some issues with user avatars.)

Don’t know what did it except the new bbpress trunk, and then creating a new group.

http://campaignmessage.com (look at group “user switching”)

oh, and forum is at http://campaignmessage.com/bbpress/topic.php?id=5

there you can see the user is correct……..it is just the avatar that isn’t.

Burt Adsit
    Participant

@burtadsit

I’m off to try this again. The SVN logs show that the bbpress guys have been busy.

gogoplata
    Participant

@gogoplata

Good luck! Still no success for me and I’ve tried just about everything I can think of. If I can’t get it working soon I’m going to start with a fresh copy of bbPress again and hope for better results.

bebopcool
    Participant

@bebopcool

bdpress trunk 658

wpmu trunk 1574

bbpress : alpha 3

burtadsit thanks for the info about .hataccess file in bbpress it is ok now for user profile

i gave the admin status to the buddypress forum user

and o also upgraded to bbpress alpha 3

but still not working : the forum is created but i cannot post

it seems i have a pb with cookie integration because a user logged with bdpress is not automatically logged in bbpress but i do not see where….

it tried to post with the bdpress forum user and logged manually with the same user in bbpress but it is still not working

gogoplata
    Participant

@gogoplata

Same here bebopcool, I’m running the new bbPress zip and the trunk WPMU and BuddyPress and have successfully integrated users but can’t get the cookies to work, which I assume is what’s preventing the forum from working. I too have the forum on the group page, but posting on fails.

I can login with my admin account and the new bbpress admin and post directly to the forum but it doesn’t seem to be communicating with BuddyPress.

Burt Adsit
    Participant

@burtadsit

I think that what we are experiencing here is an apache phenomenon.

We can’t all be setting this up improperly. Besides, I’ve got it working on a windows dev server just fine. It’s running the same vers of all 3 software components. bp, bb, mu. Same.

I’m telling you people that when I dig down in the bowels of the code the reason that things are failing is wp_remote_get(‘your_very_own_url_to_bbpress’). It’s returning 404 and nothing happens after that. Well, things happen happily along as usual but everything above that just can’t work without that ‘pingback uri’ that it is looking for.

So why is a valid url for the bbpress root returning 404? Apache and it’s wonderful .htaccess files control that response. If following it’s internal .htaccess rules that exist in the mu root and the bbpress root, if it decides that what you are requesting doesn’t exist, then it just plain doesn’t. To apache. Returns 404.

I don’t know how anyone else has bbpress installed but mine is like so:

mu root = myhappydomain.org/

bbpress root = myhappydomain.org/bbpress/

The .htaccess conditions and rules in mu dir get processed first. Then the ones in the bbpress dir get looked at.

HANGON: gotta run go do something but i’m hitting ‘save’ first. brb

Please uncomment line 462 of bp-forums-bbpress-live.php

//var_dump( $client->message, $client->error ); die;

Then try and view or post in the forums.

Can you then paste when you get in here (minus anything sensitive)

Thanks

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 102 total)
  • The topic ‘Group forums working yet not working’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar