Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to edit and add thing to bp adminbar

• enderpal444
    Participant

@enderpal444

I want to cut some links out of the admin bar and rearrange it and add a login field. I’ve searched and searched and tried a few tutorials and nothing works. The plugin for admin bar mods doesnt show a setting option on my admin. Can someone point me to a sure fire tutorial if you know of any?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• kkradel
    Participant

@kkradel

I’ve been looking for information on editing the adminbar for two months now.

Editing links out of the admin bar is easy. Just find the relative code bit in bp-core-buddybar.php and delete it.

Adding is another story because it usually involves large snippets of code. I’d like to add a login form from the adminbar as well – instead of a link that leads to the WP login page.

The other thing I’m looking for is figuring out how to move the side bar widgets up into the adminbar. I want to have all community navigation in the adminbar.

enderpal444
    Participant

@enderpal444

This might help you until we find a better way. I found this plugin called facebook footer panel that I customized to look exactly like the admin bar I had. Then since it had icons liked I like and less of the options I just changed the css to pin it to the top and then disabled the bp-admin bar. You have to change some more css to make the menus drop but with some css knowledge is not hard. The default bar is kind of ugly but you can make it look anyway you want.

i tried to remove Viisit Radom Member, Random Group And Random Site from BuddyBar successfully, Here is link for you how to make changes, edit BuudyBar.
    http://www.funjog.com/learnbuddypress/2011/09/30/how-to-hide-visit-random-group-members-sites-menu-from-buddypress-buddybar/
    Hope this will help.

kkradel
    Participant

@kkradel

enderpal444 : That is just way to sloppy for me, all I want is a code snippet. I really like the admin bar as it is and just want to add features to it in a way that doesn’t hop all over the universe to do so.

kkradel
    Participant

@kkradel

enderpal444 : That is just way to sloppy for me, all I want is a code snippet. I really like the admin bar as it is and just want to add features to it in a way that doesn’t hop all over the universe to do so.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

This codex article probably needs updating, but read through it and try what is suggested:
    https://codex.buddypress.org/theme-development/modifying-the-buddypress-admin-bar/

If it doesn’t work, let us know and someone will update it.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

This codex article probably needs updating, but read through it and try what is suggested:
    https://codex.buddypress.org/theme-development/modifying-the-buddypress-admin-bar/

If it doesn’t work, let us know and someone will update it.

kkradel
    Participant

@kkradel

I am actually a fairly good code hacker – not a programmer, but I can go in and fix most things – and I’m a QA Engineer and I have to say that the buddypress codex that I’ve looked at so far is just about incomprehensible to me. To the point where I don’t even bother to look at it. It doesn’t tell me exactly what I need to know. It gives generic examples. I really need to sit down with a developer – unfortunately I can’t afford that luxury and am stuck figuring this out on my own. BuddyPress, and WordPress for that matter is not my be all end all, it’s a platform that should be usable out of the box – and neither one of them are.

Ending rant. Sorry – I’ve just wasted so much time on figuring this out – and I’ve gotten just about nowhere.

kkradel
    Participant

@kkradel

I am actually a fairly good code hacker – not a programmer, but I can go in and fix most things – and I’m a QA Engineer and I have to say that the buddypress codex that I’ve looked at so far is just about incomprehensible to me. To the point where I don’t even bother to look at it. It doesn’t tell me exactly what I need to know. It gives generic examples. I really need to sit down with a developer – unfortunately I can’t afford that luxury and am stuck figuring this out on my own. BuddyPress, and WordPress for that matter is not my be all end all, it’s a platform that should be usable out of the box – and neither one of them are.

Ending rant. Sorry – I’ve just wasted so much time on figuring this out – and I’ve gotten just about nowhere.

enderpal444
    Participant

@enderpal444

kkradel…I dont know what you didnt like about my idea but they idea I suggested is working perfectly for me. The menu came with icons that I swapped with my own for profile,settings,messages…and two drop down menus for “friends online” and “notifications. Ive since added two drop down menus and a login to it. Looks better than I expected and works perfectly. You should try it.

enderpal444
    Participant

@enderpal444

kkradel…I dont know what you didnt like about my idea but they idea I suggested is working perfectly for me. The menu came with icons that I swapped with my own for profile,settings,messages…and two drop down menus for “friends online” and “notifications. Ive since added two drop down menus and a login to it. Looks better than I expected and works perfectly. You should try it.

enderpal444
    Participant

@enderpal444

Well now that same plugin is making my replies to activity streams now work lol so fml. Really wish someone would make a plugin to do this right.

kkradel
    Participant

@kkradel

enderpal444 you mean it’s not working now? :)

I just like to hard code wherever I can and to stay away from plugins as much as possible. That said, I’m already using 27 or so plugins for various things on the site because I don’t have the time to rewrite everything.

enderpal444
    Participant

@enderpal444

It worked perfectly until I realized it was blocking replies. If I can figure that out it’s still the best solution by far so suck it lol.

enderpal444
    Participant

@enderpal444

One thing I think might help is using the plugin “menubar”. It has a feature where you can add php code to make a menu item. So you add this to add a login for example.

if (is_user_logged_in ())
    return array (‘Log out’, wp_logout_url ());
    else
    return array (‘Log in’, wp_login_url ());

Now it would be really useful if someone could give some examples on what to enter to make it go to a users activities, profile, etc.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘How to edit and add thing to bp adminbar’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar