Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to have different groups/levels/collections of friends?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• ronia
    Participant

@ronia

Any clue?

Virtuali
    Participant

@gunju2221

You need to be ALOT more specific on what you are trying to do….

ronia
    Participant

@ronia

Buddypress has ‘generic’ friends. But friends can be of various types or groups:
    for example:
    close buddies
    office collegues
    parents etc

Facebook , Orkut etc lets group your friends according to your choice/privacy.
    Script like elgg at elgg.org allows to group friends into ‘collections.’
    Thus when you post a blog or picture you specify which collection can see it:
    close buddies
    office collegues
    parents
    all etc

Just generic “friends” seems prehistoric :) and this is an immediate requirement involved site members are asking otherwise sharing content is becoming critically impossible w.r.t what to share with whom.

ronia
    Participant

@ronia

Savannah, ummm?

Prehistoric or not sadly this isn’t possible, however it’s a nice idea and likely could be done with some custom work, but that I think would be quite involved. If you can add it to the trac as a enhancement ticket.

Virtuali
    Participant

@gunju2221

you could create the:
    close buddies
    office collegues
    parents etc

into groups and have all those category of members join the group.

ronia
    Participant

@ronia

Savannah, the groups of friends are for my convenience. Why shall ‘they’ join the groups? Social networking is supposed to be an easy experience and not round-about way of doing things. Also if each member has such closed groups imagine the number of groups shooting up like anything which will be closed to the community.

This cannot be the solution.

I also need to categorize friend.. any plugin or solution?

C´mon!!!! there has to be a plugin to categorize friends it totally basic!!! In my case my community is about business and I need for my members to be able to classify their friedns as: leads, prospects, clients, suppliers, partners, associate, employee, etc. it soooo basic!!!! maybe a contact management plugin??

Virtuali
    Participant

@gunju2221

Savannah, the groups of friends are for my convenience. Why shall ‘they’ join the groups?

Obviously, so they can make friends with the people of the same interests, like categories of friends.

Social networking is supposed to be an easy experience and not round-about way of doing things

It is an easy experience, and part of making your website how you want it is making work arounds, and understanding that not everything will be how you like, there may be some things that simply, aren’t possible at the moment.

One option would be a hire a developer, because this would require coding, in which of coarse you would need to hire a coder to do the job.

C´mon!!!! there has to be a plugin to categorize friends it totally basic!!!

Are you incapable of typing in some words on google? you must go search for plugins or solutions, we don’t know everything that exists off the top of our head.

I need for my members to be able to classify their friedns as: leads, prospects, clients, suppliers, partners, associate, employee, etc. it soooo basic!!!! maybe a contact management plugin??

If it’s “sooo basic” than why don’t you put some money or start developing the plugin yourself? If the plugin does not exist, there is nothing we can do other than what I said above about hiring someone to ronia.

ronia
    Participant

@ronia

Hmm Does BP 1.5 solve this?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘How to have different groups/levels/collections of friends?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar