Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Is it possible to update my activity stream via email?

• Nick
    Participant

@nhoover

I know in WordPress you can create a post via email. Is it also possible for members of a buddypress community to update their activity streams via email?

Thanks ahead of time for any knowledge shared!!!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

That’s only on WordPress.com and only for blog comments. It’s proprietary code unless Automattic decide to release it to wordpress.org. And then someone would need to adapt it for BP as well.

what about wp-mail.php? i think that uses the wp.org -> settings > writing > Post via e-mail

mrjarbenne
    Participant

@mrjarbenne

This might be an odd workaround. But Tweetstream activated on your BP install, could receive updates from Twitter. Twitter can receive updates posted via email through posterous.com. It’s a lot of steps, but posterous will aggregate an email sent to post@posterous.com to whatever services you set up. It’s not exactly elegant, but it would work.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@nuprn1 – Ahh okay, I thought Nick was talking about this:
    http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2009/04/23/comment-reply-via-email-open-to-all/

The “Post via Email” option you mentioned isn’t available in WPMU, which is what I have on my testbox.
    Am wondering if this option is available in WP 3.0 in network mode?

An interesting plugin idea indeed! The only thing I’m worried about is the email address that users will be sending to. It could get potentially hammered! I know this will definitely not work well on shared hosts.

Nick
    Participant

@nhoover

I’m going to test the Tweetstream idea this weekend as a temporary work around. I need someway to allow my members to update their status from a mobile phone that does not involve browsing to a mobile version of the site. A random request from a client to be sure, but one I need to solve…

Nick
    Participant

@nhoover

well the Tweetstream and posterous would work if everyone had a Twitter account. I’m not sure they are going to be willing to make sure everyone has an account. I guess I have to keep looking.

what about xmlrpc? i’m working on a receiver plugin which allows profile activity updates and a new blog post updates (ie, if someone sent an update from an external wordpress blog when a new post is published)

ds123
    Participant

@ds123

any news on this? is there anyway to use some of the work done with wordpress plugin “postie” to develop this? and an upload photos by email function would be amazing like facebook offers…… currently can’t upload from iphone so this solves the avatar registration issue too from a mobile

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Is it possible to update my activity stream via email?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar