Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

It doesn’t work

• Today i installed bp en bp album+ because i am building a site for my club and want the members to put some pics on it.So i installed bp and the dutch language pack.But when i myself want to create an account i get a 404 and this for everything i want to do in bp.Can someone help me?
    http://www.bbs-grasparkieten.be
    paduy

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Roger Coathup
    Participant

@rogercoathup

Test it with just WordPress installed … BuddyPress de-activated.

Can you change the permalinks to a custom structure e.g. /%category%/%postname%/ and still view pages / categories without problem?

You need WordPress working correctly with permalinks.

If that’s OK, then install / activate BuddyPress, select the BuddyPress default theme, and check everything works.

Once you’ve done this, you can install your language packs, plugins, etc.

I changed them to (/index.php/archives/%post_id%)and this woks and bp doesn’t ask to change them anymore but bp still doesn’t work.I presume that i have to put them to custom like you indicated,but then my browser don’t finf the pages anymore and i get a 404 also.Do you know a way so i can change the in custom without losing the connection with my other pages.I also tries some plugin with no result sofar
    patricki

Roger Coathup
    Participant

@rogercoathup

@paduy

If your standard WordPress install doesn’t work with custom permalinks (e.g. /%category%/%postname%/)… then your problem is not in BuddyPress.

You need to fix your base WordPress install first of all. BuddyPress won’t work if you don’t have custom permalinks working correctly.

Do you get any error message when you try to configure custom permalinks (e.g. problems accessing the .htaccess file)?

I didn’t do anything because i am a newby in this matter and don’t want to ruin my site with experimenting with something i don’t know about.I just wonder wyhy the custm links don’t wordk do jou know the reason or reasons for this

Roger Coathup
    Participant

@rogercoathup

@paduy – there could be a number of reasons: file write permissions on .htaccess, restrictions with your server setup, etc.

You need to get your basic WordPress installation working correctly before attempting to install / activate BuddyPress.

could the main reason be that my hosting provider doesn’t have an linu server but a windows based one.Those htaccess write persmissions do i permit them on the hosting server to?

It is a rather important bit of information the server platform Apache and IIS have different approaches to rewrite capability, you may need to speak to your hosts and explain that you need some form of url rewriting for your site.

This WP Codex page gives some detail on IIS and permalink structures and rewriting.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks

This is essentially an issue resting with the core app WP rather than BP

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘It doesn’t work’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar