Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

[Newbie] WP Installation or WPMU installation?

• Hi, guys. I’ve been using WP for the last 3 years and I need to create a small ‘social intranet’ for a client of mine. Of course I’ve heard about BuddyPress for a while and decided to give it a spin. However, I’m not sure if I should install WP MU first or use WP and then install the BuddyPress plugin. I am constrained to use WP 2.9.2 (long story).

I don’t think I need multiple blogs, but the main features should be as follows: Message Board, Calendar, RSS Feeds (so people can sign up for notifications), Fillable employee documents, Staff Directory, Search, Customer Service Tips, Usage Statistics, Links to other websites, and a ‘For Sale’ section. They might need departmental ‘pages’ (blogs? Hence WPMU? individuals don’t need to have blogs) I know plugins that can handle these features in WP, but how will BP and further WPMU handle these requests?

ANY assistance in clarifying the differences between WP and WPMU relative to BP would be GREATLY appreciated. Been scouring the net for answers and I still can’t find what I need. I get tutorials galore (YAY), but no comparison.

Thanks again.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

The fact that you are using WP 2.9.2 means that you are in luck. WP 2.9.1 is the minimum required version of solo-blog WP (single site) that will run BuddyPress. If you do not need to offer your client multiple blogs (or more precisely, if you think that your client will never need to offer their employees and departments blogs), then you can stick with the solo-blog version of WordPress.

As far as setting up departmental pages, I would think that BuddyPress groups would be the perfect fit. But, if each department will need their own blog, then you will have to go the WP multisite route (a.k.a. WordPress Mu.)

Hi, Jeff. Thanks for the speedy response. So the crucial difference is that if I don’t need multiple blogs I can still with good old WP and not have to interface with MU. Great. I notice that BuddyPress doesn’t have a Calendar plugin (well I couldn’t find one). Is there a substitue? How do WP plugins work in BP?

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

How do WP plugins work in BP?

Like any other plugin in WordPress! They’re separate entities. So let’s say you decide to use an Events Calendar plugin, that plugin will be in its own little world unless you decide to hack it to be more in rhythm with BuddyPress (display names, avatars, etc.).

Okay. So BP plugins for BP. How do I get info on ‘hacking’ WP plugins to make them globally available on BP?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘[Newbie] WP Installation or WPMU installation?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar