Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

send mass email

• can i send a mass email message via buddypress? i see i can send a mass message but it doesnt go the users email.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)

• photodesign
    Participant

@photodesign

When you send an internal message, the user will be sent an email notifying them of the message (unless they have it disabled). I’m curious about mass mailing this way, even if the user has to log in get the message.

As an admin you have a checkbox for “this is a message to all users” – I was going to try that.

unless i type in each users name, there is no way to send them the message unless im missing something. if i click the ‘this notice to all users’ box it doestn send an actual email, just a notice when they log in next time. So is the only way to send a mass email to type in each users username?

graphical_force

@graphical_force

I am also needing a mass email feature. Does anyone else know if this can be done?

Thanks in advance!

paulhastings0
    Participant

@paulhastings0

jeremyltn
    Participant

@jeremyltn

I wrote a script to send messages to all users, but it needs to be cleaned up some to make it a plugin. I’ll post it for you guys sometime tomorrow.

Tore
    Participant

@toregus

There’s some old forum posts about this. Search the forum and find plugins and work arounds.

jeremyltn
    Participant

@jeremyltn

Drop this in your plugins folder http://theantistatic.com/bpmessage.zip

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@jeremyltn

Just took a quick look at the code, it’s not great to add all the recipients to the one message because when you view the message in BP, you’ll see all the user IDs attached to that message.

To remedy this, use a foreach loop for the $user_ids array.

Also, implement some type of delay for every x amount of messages sent.

Check out the sleep() function.

eg.

$s = 0; // sent messages counter
    foreach ($user_ids as $user_id) {
    if($user_id == "1") continue; // do not send message to yourself!

messages_new_message( array('sender_id' => 1, 'subject' => $subject, 'content' => $body, 'recipients' => $user_id) );

$s++;

if ( $s % 50 == 0 )
    sleep(10); // to help server load, delay 10 seconds for every 50 messages sent
    }

Gianfranco
    Participant

@gian-ava

I didn’t try yet the” This is a notice to all users” yet, but I thought that that would send an email notifications to all the users (if they have email notifications on).

Selecting that checkbox, does it send only a site notification instead? I mean when users log in? No mail?

jeremyltn
    Participant

@jeremyltn

Thanks Ray. Actually was using a foreach before but was worried about timeouts. I’ll implement this way and update the code.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@gian-ava

A notice displays a message on the site only; an email isn’t sent out.

In the default theme, this is shown on the sidebar.

Use the following template tag to display notices:

<?php
    if ( function_exists( 'bp_message_get_notices' ) )
    bp_message_get_notices();
    ?>

Gianfranco
    Participant

@gian-ava

@r-a-y Thanks for the info!

The Group Activity Subscription plugin has an option to send a notice to all group members regardless of their notification settings. You might use this in combination with the BP Group Management plugin. You could use that plugin to add all members to an “Announcements” group. Just make sure you keep on top of it so that everyone is always a member of the “Announcements” group. People can still leave the group… so this isn’t great. But it’s an idea anyway.

@jeremyltn Are you going to add your plugin to the repo? I tested it out tonight on WP 3.0 and BP 1.2.4.1 and it didn’t work for me. So I changed the post URL and then it works. However, it updates the page with a warning about headers already having been sent from the BuddyPress messaging component, which I’m not sure how to fix. Anyway, I’m writing a blog and linking to your plugin, offering it for download with the updated post URL. I know a lot of BuddyPress people would love it if you added it to the repo- People are always looking for this. :) Thanks for the work you’ve done!

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

This is absolutely superb but just needs a bit of work. The headers error message upon sending a message needs fixing and also when viewing a message in the front end it states it is a message between [blank] and then gives the username of the receiver. This means when a receiver replies they effectively send themselves another message and not a reply to admin.

Is anyone currently working on this plugin? It’s just what the community needs.

jeremyltn
    Participant

@jeremyltn

@pollyplummer thanks for the blog post. I didn’t think there was such a demand, but will add it to the repo once I get a chance to work out some of the issues. @rossagrant I’m going to work on the header issues. By default the message is sent from the account ID 1 (usually admin), it could be from blank if this account doesn’t exist. I’ll make it send from the logged in user in the next version.

@jeremyltn Super! I know a lot of people will be excited about this. :) Thanks!

mvvspr
    Participant

@mvvspr

It will be very useful.I am looking forward for the plugin in repo.
    Thanks

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

@jeremyltn Just for your info I did send the message from admin which is user ID 1 and yet the message to people still states that it’s between *blank* and the receiver.

Can you recreate this or is it something I might have done wrong?
    Really appreciate your time on this, it’s an essential plugin! Thanks! :)

fashionblogs

@fashionblogs

I installed this plugin and it didnt send the emails?

jeremyltn
    Participant

@jeremyltn

@mvvspr @rossagrant @fashionblogs and everyone else – I’ve changed some things and added the plugin to the repo https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-mass-messaging.

All of the errors should be taken care of, but if you still have issues please post here http://jeremylitten.com/buddypress-mass-messaging-plugin

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

@jeremyltn Thank you SO much for this! I’ll try it out and let you know how I get on! Great stuff!

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

@jeremyltn It now works like a charm! Thanks again for this, it will no doubt become a BP essential. This should be written into the core code to be honest.

jeremyltn
    Participant

@jeremyltn

@rossagrant glad it works for you now, my pleasure.

graphical_force

@graphical_force

So the plugin will send the members that they have a message but will it also tell them the information in the email from the message? I would like them to get the info without having to check the site.

Thanks for your work!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • The topic ‘send mass email’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar