Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Sidebar and page layout when clicking View

• Hi All,

I found one post asking a similar question a year ago, but with no concrete answer. As you know when you click “view” on a individual post – it shows as a page similar to Twitter – with no sidebar, and a smaller version of your layout. Seems user unfriendly IMO

How can I change this so it has the same layout as the rest of my site including the sidebar etc?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Are you using child theme of bp-default or WP theme with BP Template Pack?

I am using a child theme – fishbook (which I have edited some parts – colours etc). http://www.ukushosting.com/testshop

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

This is the template which handles the page. Copy over bp-default’s permalink.php to your child theme’s folder, and paste inside folders /members/single/activity/ following directory structure of bp-default

@mercime

Thank you for the reply. I’m a little confused though.

I have found the file permalink.php – you say copy to your child theme – would that be /wp-content/themes/fishbook-buddypress-buddypack and paste the file in there?

You mention I should past inside folders/single/activity following directory structure of bp default – I am at complete loss as what is intended here or what is meant – sorry :(

I am trying to understand the file structures (honest) but it’s taking a while to “go in” my brain!

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

If I recall well, fishbook is a child theme of bp-default theme. What you do is
    1. create a new folder named `members` and
    2. within that members/ directory, create another folder named `single` then
    3. within the members/single/ directory, create another folder named `activity` then
    4. copy over the file permalink.php within activity/ folder so result when you upload everything to server, you’ll have
    5. wp-content/themes/fishbook-buddypress-buddypack/members/single/activity/permalink.php
    This is what’s following the directory structure of bp-default to your own child theme folder

Before you upload, change the HTML structure of permalink.php to something similar like the page.php while keeping that page’s template tags on permalink.php

Thanks @mercime – I really do appreciate your help.

OK I understood – right up to the part

Before you upload, change the HTML structure of permalink.php to something similar like the page.php while keeping that page’s template tags on permalink.php.

I am lost at what this part means – I done everything up to this part now :)

Sorry – you may regret trying to help ;)

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

permalink.php replace content with something like this (not fully tested – see how it works)

`

`

EDIT – made some changes

It almost worked – the siderbar is now there.

The layout is a bit screwy. http://www.ukushosting.com/testshop – creditionals if needing to login testuser with pw testuser.

The page is still the reduced size version – which maybe why the siderbar does not align properly.

edit* just noticed it removed the sidebar from activity using the fix – so I removed the folder and it appeared back.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

== The page is still the reduced size version ==

Backup your stylesheet and remove blocks of styling for anything with ” `body.activity-permalink ` “

@mercime Thank You Thank You Thank You.

Worked perfectly – my site is almost how I want it ( couple more things to play with) but I thank you so much.

Your help is what makes BP so appealing to me. I have used many OS software over the years – and I dont mind admitting I am a cut and paste merchant when it comes to code – your help has been exceptional.

If you ever come to London – I owe you a cold beer.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Sidebar and page layout when clicking View’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar