Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

unable to remove search bar from BP default header

• dtclarinet
    Participant

@dtclarinet

Why should I have to create a “child” theme to remove the search bar int he BP default header? I don’t understand all the details of that process.

I tried removing the code form the header.php file, but my site did not come up after that. Blank page.

WP used to be somewhat understandable regarding code issues. It’s beyond me now.

Has anyone come up with a simple plugin to remove the silly search bar in the BP default header?

Thanks,
    DT
    http://blog.davidhthomas.net
    newest versions of all scripts.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• modemlooper

@modemlooper

you either need to remove the code or hide it with CSS either way it’s best to create a simple child theme. If you choose CSS, the easiest way, find the id for it and give it a display:none;

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@dtclarinet If you’re using BP 1.2.6, copy header.php from bp-default theme into your child theme folder, then remove lines 84 – 102 from header.php and upload. Shouldn’t be any white screen.

EDIT- modemlooper’s advice to remove via CSS is easier

Devilish Concept
    Participant

@abovenbelow

@modemlooper i tried adding these variations in my Css and the search bar still shows could you tell me whats wrong with the code

`group-dir-search {
    display: none !important;
    }`

`div#group-dir-search.dir-search {
    display: none !important;
    }`

ive tried quite a few things they work with firebug but not when i add it to css so not sure what im doing wrong

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘unable to remove search bar from BP default header’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar