Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Username / Display name problem

• DarrenMooney
    Participant

@darrenmooney

I’m having an issue with user’s display name not showing up on my site.

I first thought that this problem was happening with BBPress as it is where I first noticed the issue.

However in my effort to find the problem; activating other themes, the problem happened anywhere with the tag `the_author`.

I have tried removing all plugins, all custom functions, and as mentioned above, activating other themes, both standard wordpress and buddypress, with no success.

I’ve noticed that if I set my nic name in the WP dashboard, it will start to appear again, however, when attempting to change my display name in my profile edit page in buddypress front end, the problem will come back, but also when checking again, the display name within Buddypress didn’t actually change. After this, looking in the dashboard profile edit section, the nic name and real name I had entered was all removed.

I’m really confused why this is happening. Can anyone please help? Thank you.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• DarrenMooney
    Participant

@darrenmooney

Bump

Having the same exact issue. Wish I knew what was going on. BBPress name doesn’t seem to want to take upper case letters, and it’s not updating the user. If I manually go in and set the proper display name for a user, if they edit their profile it gets reset.

DarrenMooney
    Participant

@darrenmooney

Any chance of getting help with this?

Eric – if you have a bbPress-specific problem, your best bet is to post at http://bbpress.org

Darren – Can you provide a list of steps that we can copy to recreate this problem? Preferably if you start from the point of registering a new user account…

DarrenMooney
    Participant

@darrenmooney

I don’t know when it began, to be honest I never noticed it on the forums, for the first week of the site we didn’t use the forum, we were taking the time to populate the site with some posts etc before releasing it.

Following steps from creating a new user registration is not going to tell you anything as the problem is already there, users can’t change their username and they don’t display on forums etc as stated before.

I was just reminded by a friend an hours ago that we did use a function to allow upper case characters for users, I’ve been looking for exact code that I used but can’t just yet…. I’ll keep looking. I had forgotten about this as it was only in for a short while at the beginning. Although I can’t remember, it is possible some of the initial users registered during its inclusion.

Edit: I should note that there is only the 8 team members signed up on the site, its not fully live yet, so editing usernames via database wouldn’t be an issue if it would help?

DarrenMooney
    Participant

@darrenmooney

Update: Now that I know about the uppercase function previously used, I looked in the database to see if anything would show there. It would seem that users that are affected don’t actually have any entry in the Display Name in the database, would seem its using the username as the display name.

are you using bp 1.5.1? if so there seems to be a bug if you change the label of the “Display Name” Profile-Field. You have to leave it to the default value.

DarrenMooney
    Participant

@darrenmooney

I am using 1.5.1, though I haven’t changed the label of the Display Name field.

I just went to the edit option and the field name is: “Display Name”

If you think you’ve found a bug, and ideally can recreate it on a clean test install, please please report it to us on http://buddypress.trac.WordPress.org if it isn’t already.

DarrenMooney
    Participant

@darrenmooney

Well with the fact that I used a custom function in order to allow upper case in username during these user’s sign up, I’m not sure if its a bug or a result of the function.

As I’ve stated before, buddypress was reinstalled on the same database with no change.

I’ve already tried a fresh install, all worked fine. However without knowing what custom function was used before to allow uppercases in username on sign up, I can’t honestly duplicate the bug.

I’ve tried going into phpmyadmin, and manually entering a display name on the users affected, the display name doesn’t show, still uses the username, and changing the display name still isn’t possible.

Gossy Uk

@gossyomega1

@darrenmooney

Your solution

I had this same problem.

TO fix it, go to the BuddyPress Profile Fields Admin Area,

Rename the Full Name to Name
    Rename the Main Profile Field Group to Base

Save.

This will fix the issue.

Cheers
    http://studentscircle.net

DarrenMooney
    Participant

@darrenmooney

The main profile field group is default as “Base”. There is no full name field in buddypress, only username and display name.

EDIT: However changing “Display Name” to “Name” did fix the problem. Its working fine now.

Thank you for your help, Gossy.

Gossy Uk

@gossyomega1

You are welcome

Cheers
    http://studentscircle.net

jmatthewgore
    Participant

@jmatthewgore

I’ve been having the same problem. I changed the fieldname to “Name” as Gossy suggested, and it fixed the problem.

Thanks @gossyomega1

– Matt

Yup! Changing the field name back to “Name” fixed it for me, too. So happy now!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Username / Display name problem’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar