Categories
Search
Bottom

validate email on registration

• gwu123
    Participant

@gwu123

Hi,

Buddypress allows user account to be created even when a non existing email id is entered during registration.

Is there a way to stop this?

The user account should be created only when the activation email is successfully sent to the user.

Bp 1.2.4.1
    Wp 2.9.2

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

You have to activate your account via email by default!

It appears that you’re using the BP Disable Activation plugin or some other plugin that does something similar.
    Can you confirm?

techguy
    Participant

@crashutah

What’s wrong with creating the user before the activation email is sent? If it doesn’t get sent, then the user won’t be created and they’ll never be able to login since the user account won’t be activated.

Of course, if you’re using the plugins that r-a-y mentions, then that’s a different story.

peterverkooijen
    Participant

@peterverkooijen

“What’s wrong with creating the user before the activation email is sent?”

Because the (spam) account is still there, listed everywhere, even if it will never be used.

techguy
    Participant

@crashutah

Ok, so I don’t think that there’s any function to know if the email bounced or not. So, BP would think that it was sent successfully even if it’s a fake email. You’d have to setup something to catch the bounced email to then know that it was bad or something. Unfortunately, email doesn’t respond with a successful reply when an email is received so that you’d be able to cue off of that.

I think the solution to the spam accounts that weren’t activated is a plugin that will allow people to easily clear out these never activated accounts.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

This works the same way as if you registered from within WordPress. If I remember correctly, WordPress purges unactivated sign-ups after a certain number of days, but I will need to research this to make sure.

gwu123
    Participant

@gwu123

@johnjamesjacoby will wait for ur reply

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘validate email on registration’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar