Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Which is the best social networking tool?

• psivait
    Participant

@psivait

Hi All. I have exposure to WordPress and Buddypress and running a small social networking website. Few of my friends whom I met accidentally suggested me to choose Drupal or Joomla as it provides more good tools to set-up a social networking website. Do anyone here has exposure to other content management systems? Is there effective tools available in Drupal/Joomla to reconsider? Please let me know your suggestions/thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
    Siva.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• enderandrew

@enderandrew

Drupal does have comparable social networking tools and is worth considering. It is more of a “proper CMS”, but also considerably more difficult to configure properly.

I’d recommend against Joomla if for no other reason than they don’t have an upgrade path. They have fewer extensions available, and more of their extensions cost money. I also wasn’t a big fan of the social network tools available.

In the end, I went with WordPress because I love how easy it is to update, and how easy it us to update all my plugins. I looked at Mingle, WP-Symposium and Buddypress. Of the three, Buddypress had the most features and plugins, and seemed to have the most developer support.

I think it is the best tool out there for building a social network personally, but your mileage may vary.

psivait
    Participant

@psivait

Thanks for your comments. Let’s wait & watch for more views from other members.

You’re asking on a BuddyPress forum which is the best social networking plugin? You’re going to get biased responses ;)

greenmeanie
    Participant

@greenmeanie

Buddypress hates themes and gives me the most problems with the plugin.
    I like Mingle but they need to start working on it again and add more options and let you turn off features you don’t want.

Micheal Kennedy
    Participant

@intermike

@greenmeanie WordPress works with any theme if you use the Template Pack.

And Mingle is dreadfully incomparable to BP.

WP wins in almost every category: http://deviousmedia.com/infographics/devious_cms.png

psivait
    Participant

@psivait

Hi Inermike, thanks for sharing a beautiful comparison chart.

greenmeanie
    Participant

@greenmeanie

He asked a tool for wordpress. What does that have to do with WordPress Template Pack? I use the add-on for buddypress to make the theme compatible and it doesn’t work all the way.

i think buddypress is the best. budypreess is the speediest social network i know .. but we need more features and i hope they will come with the next version ..

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Which is the best social networking tool?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar