Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Widgets & sidebar not showing after upgrade

• bibliata
    Participant

@bibliata

Widgets and sidebar not showing on static front page after upgrade. http://ourcog.org/
    They do show when blog setting is chosen. Template is Huddle but it is not a template problem as it worked fine before. Should I downgrade back to 1.5?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• bibliata
    Participant

@bibliata

After playing around with it this morning, I was able to activate one of the native Huddle widgets. The generic widgets, however, still do not show. Any suggestions?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@bibliata It could be a template problem because it might need to be upgraded for compatibility with BP 1.6+. Have you checked out theme author’s forums if others are having the same issue?

On the other hand, could also be the widgets/plugin. What widgets are you trying to add to static front page? Are these default WP or BP widgets or widgets by other plugins?

bibliata
    Participant

@bibliata

The template shows its own widgets. It has a set of huddle tab posts, huddle tweets, huddle video. They show fine. However, when I drag and drop the buddy press native widgets like members, groups, etc., they do not show. Any suggestions?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

There are themes which disable core WP or BP widgets to replace it with their own. I’ve done it myself for custom themes. Have you checked out in theme’s forums or contacted theme author about this issue?

bibliata
    Participant

@bibliata

The widgets worked w/v.1.5 so I am assuming its the upgrade.
    Is there an easy way to downgrade buddy press?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

If you have backups of your server files and database, just revert to both. Better to resolve widget issues with theme author as looking forward, BP 1.7 with cool new features is in the works already.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

It looks like you’re using Huddle.

You should contact the theme developer and tell them about this issue.

bibliata
    Participant

@bibliata

Like I mentioned, the widgets do not work only when word press is in static front page mode. When changed to blog roll front page, they work, so I made a few modifications to make it look half a way descent. On this note, does buddy press have shortcuts to call the member, groups, etc. widgets the directly from php? Thanks!

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

It sounds like you’re just missing the code for the widgets to show up.

Since I don’t have access to the Huddle theme, it should be as simple as adding the dynamic_sidebar() function to your frontpage template:
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/dynamic_sidebar

Make sure you know what the sidebar ID is though. Again, this sounds like a theme issue. Try contacting the theme developers for Huddle.

bibliata
    Participant

@bibliata

Huddle has 3-4 different sidebar files (blog, front, wide page). I will look there and in the functions file and let you know. Thanks again!

jhilton
    Participant

@jhilton

Huddle sounds like a good theme…

bibliata
    Participant

@bibliata

Thank’s for all ya’ll’s help – Huddlle is releasing a v.1.9 which supposedly resolve the conflict w/BB1.6
    However, I will wait to install BB 1.7 and then mess more with the theme. Any word on the release date?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

43 active tickets to go at this time https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/roadmap

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Widgets & sidebar not showing after upgrade’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar