Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

WordPress 3.0 + BuddyPress 1.2.4.1 and Activity Stream as Front Page (possible fix?)

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • nevermind – adding that will cause all 404 pages to default to the activity stream

Darryl
    Participant

@socialator

I’ve got something to help you out.

Wait until BuddyPress is 3.0 compatible.

I actually thought it would be out of the gate considering the time frame of the WordPress 3.0 development and the popularity of BuddyPress.

I just tried an upgrade and it was a failure to say the least. One of the issues is what your encountering.

This is in local testing finding a code solution but thanks for the response.

(…and technically 1.2.4.1 was suppose to be WP 3.0 ready while BP1.3 dependent on features of WP3.0 )

Darryl
    Participant

@socialator

So it was supposed to be ready? Very interesting. We’ll there’s at least two of us who know the truth about that statement. It’s too bad. I just started with BuddyPress and with so much attention I expected to see something a little more polished. Am I expecting too much given it’s maturity? I’ll have to evaluate that question a little closer.

just taken from the dev meeting logs and 1.2.4 announcement (https://buddypress.org/2010/05/buddypress-1-2-4/)
    “This highly anticipated version provides fixes to 74 reported tickets and adds improved support for WordPress 3.0 to help ensure a safe and worry free upgrade.”

Perplexing? lots of back slapping :) on that link announcement yet 1.2.4 does not work particularly well with 3.0 or particularly badly (to be fair) Why? not necessarily criticizing just rather bemused by BP development and testing.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

[EDIT]
    Updated patch commited by JJJ:
    https://trac.buddypress.org/changeset/3066

@r-a-y thanks a lot for that. This is a good workaround for now. :D

Darryl
    Participant

@socialator

When could an official fix be expected? Thanks!

@r-a-y Thanks r-a-y that does indeed fix things, albeit in a hackish manner :)

I understand what you’ve done with it, and it occurred to me that there may well be an issue with many who are using bp-default and choosing or at least attempting to choose activity stream as front page, they will not be running a child theme?

I had a play around with the bp-default functions file and specifically the function: ‘bp_dtheme_page_on_front_template’ controlling this aspect, keeping your workaround in mind I simply adjusted the add_filter from:

add_filter( ‘page_template’, ‘bp_dtheme_page_on_front_template’ );

To:

add_filter( ‘404_template’, ‘bp_dtheme_page_on_front_template’ );

This appears to work correctly on one of my clean installs WP 3.0 BP 1.2.4.1 bp-default

Although this is adjusting core file, in the interim/short term until the correct solution is found would this not serve those that I mentioned above and when that correct solution found the hack would simply be overwritten in a point upgrade?

This isn’t a hugely tested solution, it works on the surface on one of my various installs, but there may well be issues I have missed, it’s suggested more as food for thought.

Lastly I can imagine that there are going to be many rushing into upgrading (that ‘upgrade now’ button is like the red ‘Do NOT Press’ button; too much of a temptation :) ) Although the upgrade is not problematical the few manual steps required might well cause some people issues and the fix discussed here be required so as such it might be worth a sticky post pulling the steps together along with any other fixes one might require, that people can be pointed to?

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@hnla – While your method is well-intentioned, it breaks actual 404 pages. Try typing in example.com/hfklsadjfkasdhf and you’ll see the activity page, instead of the 404 page!

You could just copy my code directly into the bp-default theme’s functions.php so it will be overwritten when the next version of BP comes out.

FYI, the code can also go in wp-content/plugins/bp-custom.php as well and not necessarily in a child theme’s functions.php file.

:) Ah erm so it does; did say it wasn’t hugely tested. Ok then those that are running on bp-default theme will need to add your function to main functions file, please ignore my well intentioned but erroneous post above. (Last para stands thinking about though, the flood gates will open soon)

Thinking further it makes sense to add fix to main functions or bp-custom[bp-custom.php isn’t a standard included file] so that it does get erased from existence on upgrade – one less thing to remember to adjust for people

sj
    Participant

@sojanjose4u

thnx ray :)

sj
    Participant

@sojanjose4u

@ray added code to functions in bp default

but getting eeor wen going to login pae, logout link ..

header modification already send some sort error

@si you’ve added in a carriage return/line feed after the closing ?> or before it’s opening, anything that represents a character is interpreted as browser output. Ensure you have no whitespace after the closing php tags.

sj
    Participant

@sojanjose4u

@hnla thnxx :)

@ray thnxx too. the patch works perfect :)

Darryl
    Participant

@socialator

@r-a-y and anyone else who contributed to the patch.

Thanks!

Many thanks @r-a-y. :***

How to apply the patch? Where to apply?

Hey guys, I just wrote a simple work around for this. Its working for me.

1. Create a Page Template for the Activity Stream
    2. Create a Page with the Page Template (now that page shows the activity)
    3. Use that page as the front page (This is normal for wp and works)

That’s it. see it here – http://millionclues.com/problogging/wordpress-tips/fix-for-buddypress-activity-stream-not-showing-up-on-homepage/

Well it would work :) that is one of the methods to manipulating what appears as front page built into WP. The point to this thread was attempting to find a solution to the actual issue, ones meant to be able to set the activity stream from the backend but can’t, the thread arrives at a temporary solution to this.

paulhastings0
    Participant

@paulhastings0

I dropped @rvenable‘s fix into my functions.php file for my child theme and it worked like a charm. Thanks yall. :)

well, that is the first thing I could come up with ;) @hnla

Sam Steiner
    Participant

@magganpice

Sad, that every time you get the courage together to update any part of a BuddyPress installation, the whole system explodes. (OK, you can say: “There are hack in Trac!” – seriously: come on!) I was hoping, these problems would be tested more thoroughly in the meantime but I am losing faith in BuddyPress here. Was hoping to recommend BuddyPress to actually be used soon – but how can one recommend a system that very well may crash and waste huge amounts of support-time at each upgrad? :-/

I was pretty amazed that something like the activity stream on front page issue could exist especially as it seems such a core part of WP/BP and not exactly hidden, and more it worries me that it’s left to kindly souls as r-a-y rich! and rvenable to try and find a solution and before anyone says it.. no it’s not a given that this is how projects work :)

To some extent if you are planning on rolling with BP there is little point in waiting for ever more and a day for a 100% stable release as there is unlikely to be such a thing for quite a while, it’s the nature of the methodology in use and for very reminiscent of the early days of WP. 1.2.4.1 and WP 3.0 is holding up pretty well yes there are issues but you’ll have to bite the bullet at some point :)

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • The topic ‘WordPress 3.0 + BuddyPress 1.2.4.1 and Activity Stream as Front Page (possible fix?)’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar