Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

WordPress vs. buddypress theme

• Hello,

The site that I manage (www.naidw.org) has a template that we like and was originally designed by a designer. We have since parted ways with our designer but are unhappy with the functionality of buddypress within our personalized theme. Is it possible (or feasible) to customize the buddypress staples like activity, groups, etc. We like the way that the default buddypress template looks. Again though, I don’t know if it’s possible to have these pages differ from our default theme. I would really appreciate anyone’s advice and expertise! Thank you!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Tammie Lister

@karmatosed

Ultimately you have one theme, you can probably hack a theme switch but I’d also say that tends to lead to not only user but also general confusion. A cohesive look is far better.

Now of course if you’ve hit a case where the styling is an issue my first question would be are you using the template pack? I would assume so if it was a WordPress theme?

Now, what you could do is copy over the styling for those sections into your theme and use in those cases. Whilst keeping the wrapper of your site. However that would require some coding and I don’t know how you feel about that – some may not feel comfortable so hence asking?

I just would not suggest even with a hack to do it loading a different theme depending on where you are as it ruins the experience for users.

Thanks for the reply! I agree that a hack wouldn’t be a good idea. I guess you helped to clarify my question. I don’t want to have a second theme. I like the style and look of my site overall, but it seems to interfere with the way that buddypress looks and fuctions. It just isnt’ as easy to use and navigate as the basic buddypress theme. I don’t know how extensive the coding would be, so I may or may not be able to do it myself. We would definitely look into outsourcing the work if its something that would give us a good end result.

By the way, I am using wordpress template pack. Would you be able to elaborate your suggestion about copying over the styling, etc. Thanks again!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘WordPress vs. buddypress theme’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar