Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BuddyPress Template Pack 1.1 upgrade

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Is this going to be required for bp-1.3 and further??? I don’t ever plan to upgrade the template pack because I have made so many changes to the files that It would be impossible to do it again.

stwc
    Participant

@stwc

@boonebgorges I’m a pretty much advanced-level BP template wrangler at this point, but I am confused about the instructions for upgrading this, or even if it’s necessary. Everything seems to be working fine as it is, so I’m a little leery.

I’m using a custom theme I put together, and I’ve got the older BP Template pack enabled. I’ve made major customizations to most of the BP-specific template files in my theme in MyTheme/activity, /groups, /members and so on.

What I’m very unclear on is what the process would be in upgrading the template pack plugin, and what exactly is going to happen when (if) I do so.

I’d very much appreciate some detailed guidance on this. Thanks!

stwc
    Participant

@stwc

Bump.

I’ve upgraded the template pack but now find that the ‘Join Group’ link no longer appears. If I revert to using instead of in the groups-loop.php file, then all is ok again. What could be the problem?

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

stevieg – It’s probably because the following theme hooks are missing in Template Pack:
    https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/tags/1.2.8/bp-themes/bp-default/functions.php#L339

stwc – If you’ve customized your BP theme files to oblivion in your WP theme, then don’t upgrade / reset the template files!

stwc
    Participant

@stwc

Thanks r-a-y. I’m still kinda vague on how the template pack stuff stitches things together.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

The Template Pack does, essentially, three things:
    1) Moves BP-specific templates into your child theme
    2) Enqueues bp-default’s JS
    3) Enqueues a stripped-down version of bp-default’s CSS, to handle structural stuff

As @r-a-y says, you probably don’t want to replace your customized templates. Instead, you’ll have to merge in any custom functionality that you think you’re missing from later versions of bp-default.

@Boone I am using the BP templates as installed in my theme by the new Template Pack. I haven’t amended them.

All I have done is
    1. install BP,
    2. install template pack,
    3. run through BP compatability
    4. Create a group
    5. as another user, go to mydomain/groups

Where I would expect to see a link to ‘Join Group’ I get nothing.

This is a fresh install of WP 3.1.3 using twentyten with BP 1.2.8 and template Pack 1.1.1 as the only active plugins. Groups are enabled and the group is Public.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@boonebgorges – Looks like the button hooks are missing in BP Template Pack:
    https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/tags/1.2.8/bp-themes/bp-default/functions.php#L339

This will fix the issue stevieg is experiencing.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Good call, @r-a-y. I’m releasing a new version right now with the changes.

Thanks guys that’s brilliant.

Steve D
    Participant

@steadwell

I am on WP 3.1.3 with the Twenty-Ten child theme. I noticed a message in the dashboard that prompted the completion of the template pack set-up by linking to the BP Compatibility page, however, I get a permission error when attempting to access the page. Since I’m not using a BP child template, I don’t have a BP Compatibility option in my Appearances in the dashboard.

I upgraded the template pack to 1.1.2 last night, yet still have the same issue regarding permission to –

‘../wp-admin/themes.php?page=bp-tpack-options’

Anyone else have this dilemma?

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Do you have network mode turned on? What is the exact content of the error message?

Steve D
    Participant

@steadwell

Where would I look for a “network mode” setting?

Attempting to access the BP Compatibility page from the dashboard, results in an error page with the message:

You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.

All the associated files and folders on my server are to set to allow full capablities.

BTW, Thanks for your quick response!

Also, I didn’t notice the BP Compatibility prompt until I upgraded to WP 3.1.3. I noticed on the plugin page that the BP Template Pack had not been tested with “my version of WP”, so perhaps I am in uncharted waters. I’ll leave the plug-in activated since it doesn’t seem to be causing any problems as it sits. I never fully went through the buddypress set-up in the past and only have a very limited amount of the BP functionality, (i.e. menu bar, access to dashboard)

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

If you have never activated Network Mode, then you don’t have it activated. Don’t worry about it.

Open up wp-content/plugins/bp-template-pack/bp-template.php. Around line 48 you’ll see a line that looks like this:
    `add_theme_page( __( ‘BP Compatibility’, ‘bp-template-pack’ ), __( ‘BP Compatibility’, ‘bp-template-pack’ ), current_user_can(‘switch_themes’ ), ‘bp-tpack-options’, ‘bp_tpack_theme_menu’ );`
    Replace it with
    `add_theme_page( __( ‘BP Compatibility’, ‘bp-template-pack’ ), __( ‘BP Compatibility’, ‘bp-template-pack’ ), ‘switch_themes’, ‘bp-tpack-options’, ‘bp_tpack_theme_menu’ );`

This is a bug that I’ll fix in the next version, but I’m not certain that it’s the cause of your error. Let me know.

Steve D
    Participant

@steadwell

Change to line #48, as prescribed, causes HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error), so I changed it back for now.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Did you remove the backticks? I had a typo that included an apostrophe where it shouldn’t have. Can you try again? (Sorry to make you do this, but I can’t recreate it on my machine)

Steve D
    Participant

@steadwell

I had removed the tick marks the last time, but this time it wasn’t wrapped in tick marks. Anyway – The new update got me to step 3 in the process. Now all I have to do is learn the ins & outs of BuddyPress.

So far things look good! Thanks for your help and I’ll post here if I run into any other glitches!

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Great, thanks. I’ll release a new version with the bugfix.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘BuddyPress Template Pack 1.1 upgrade’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar