Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Windows Server 2008 IIS7

• JC
    Participant

@jcmartin

I have tried repeatedly to make this install work.

NewTek webhost
    Windows Server 2008 IIS7
    Install new copy of WP 3.01

When I auto Install BP from plugins I immediately get:

500 Error

Delete the bp_loader.php from the root bp directory and WP wil run.
    Copy bp_loader back to directory and BP is a non-active plugin. WP runs perfectly.
    Click activate…500 error…

NewTek has spent hrs trying to make this work. I am truly amazed that they are a web host, they sure don’t act like one.

Tell me what need to be done and we will do it.

All servers at NewTek are Windows, so I don’t need the change servers message unless ii6 will work, we can do that.

I prefer to make this work under windows, if it can work there, please let me know.

Thanks
    JC Martin

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • I assume there’s nothing useful in your server’s log files? 500 is usually a misconfiguration of some type. Have you tried to upload a copy of the BuddyPress files rather than the automatic download?

Also, fyi, https://codex.buddypress.org/developer-docs/iis7-web-config/ which may be of some help once you get the plugin activated :)

NewTek Support
    Participant

@justinsupport

Hello,

JC, I apologize that you are having this error with your WP/BP install, and we are doing our best to figure it out.

Paul, As far as JC’s website goes, I took your route of the manual install instead of automatic install, no difference, still had the error.

I ran a ProcessMonitor on his directory and ran into no file permission errors at all, after looking through the windows event logs, I noticed that it was throwing errors regarding the ZendOptimizer.dll on the server. I checked out the requirements for BuddyPress, and no Zend Optimizer is required at all, which I found interesting.

Just to verify that the issue is with the relation between BuddyPress and ZendOptimizer, I went inside the PHP.ini file, commented out the zend configurations, ran an IIS reset to implement the settings, and the site worked perfectly.

My question is, what in BuddyPress, relies on ZendOptimizer? Also, what version do you require?

I found this other thread here, with a BuddyPress site on windows, but using Apache instead of IIS6/7
    http://www.developerit.com/2010/05/24/windows-7-apache-crashes-on-any-request
    That BuddyPress user describes the same issue we are having here.

My next thoughts are that perhaps the latest version of ZendOptimizer is required, the only problem with that is that we can’t find a current non-threadsafe version of ZendOptimizer, and that is required due to the fact that we are running with FastCGI.

If you have any thoughts on this, please let us know.

Justin H
    NewTek WebHosting – TST

P.S. I am unable to change my avatar, I get an error with folder permissions when I attempt to do so :) Just an FYI to the moderators.

NewTek Support
    Participant

@justinsupport

Hey guys,

So this is a shot int he dark, but ill tell ya what we have figured out so far.

I worked with some of our Server Operations guys, and they were able to narrow it down to the bp-groups.php file, it loads each ctivity, blogs, forums, friends, groups, messages, and xprofile individually, after checking to see if its enabled and that it exists.

Something in that file is causing Zend to go crazy and throw the 500 error.

We notice that BuddyPress says its fully supported on WordPress 3.0.0, is it possible that there is a change from 3.0.1 that could effect this? I recommend trying to install 3.0.0, or even an earlier version to see if it works.

Currently, we have renamed wp-contentpluginsbuddypressbp-groups.php to wp-contentpluginsbuddypressbp-groups.php.disabled, and your site now loads.

Thank you

Justin H
    NewTek WebHosting – TST

Hi Justin
    Thanks for posting. We’re aware of the avatar issue on this site.

I haven’t seen this issue with BP, Zend and IIS before. I’m not aware of anything particularly funky that happens in bp-groups.php. Some thoughts:

What version of PHP are you running, and is the ze1_compatibility_mode setting enabled? (i.e. ze1_compatibility_mode=1)

JC
    Participant

@jcmartin

PHP ver. 5.2.13

JC
    Participant

@jcmartin

ze1_compatibility_mode setting enabled (i.e. ze1_compatibility_mode=1) Still 500

Yes, I was checking it wasn’t set (it’s something to do with PHP4, apparently) which is why I asked about your PHP version number too. I don’t know.

JC
    Participant

@jcmartin

PHP 4? we are on v5.2.13
    Should it run under that version?

Eddie
    Participant

@resabi

Greetings, I’m having a similar issue on a lighttpd server, on one of my two wp/bp sites with the same version of both scripts as the user above. I’ve tried replacing all the files, and I got to the conclusion that the bug might be in the database. Tried emptying all bp tables but that didn’t help. Maybe it’s the users…
    Besides throwing a 500 error when I try to access wp-admin directly, when I try to login via the frontend, the login just resets and redirects to home page.
    What confuses me most is that it works perfectly on one installation and makes this mess on another one (same hosting).

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Windows Server 2008 IIS7’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar