Categories
Search
Bottom

A quick note about WordPress 3.2

• Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Hi everyone!

It’s likely that WordPress 3.2 will be released very soon – anywhere from the next few hours to the next few days. One big change in WP 3.2 will affect BP users: the version of jQuery shipped with WP will jump from 1.4.4 to 1.6.1. (Read more about the change on the WP development blog.)

BP’s packaged theme, BuddyPress Default (or bp-default, for short) makes extensive use of jQuery, and you’ll find that the version of bp-default in BP 1.2.8 is not 100% compatible with WP 3.2. Not to worry – we are planning a same-day BuddyPress release, BP 1.2.9. However, due to various technical reasons beyond our control, the jQuery in bp-default BP 1.2.9 will not work properly with earlier versions of jQuery.

What this means, in a nutshell, is that you should upgrade your production BP website to WP 3.2 at the same time that you upgrade BP to 1.2.9. Conversely, if you do not plan to upgrade to WP 3.2, do not upgrade BP to 1.2.9 when it comes out.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • WordPress 3.2 is out. So we are waiting for BP 1.2.9 :)

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

valuser
    Participant

@valuser

will the update from 1.29 to 1.3 be as smooth as this one (from 1.28 to 1.29) ?

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Well, it will be a bit more complex. But we’ll do our best!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@valuser – The migration to 1.3 will be just as easy, but we are making a few under-the-hood changes that still need to be tested for backwards compatibility.

valuser
    Participant

@valuser

Bril & thanks.

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

Curious why wp is using jQuery 1.6.1 vs. 1.6.2 esp considering some of the bugs that were fixed.
    This ticket alone was considered ‘serious’ and drove me absolutely nuts until upgrading:
    http://bugs.jquery.com/ticket/9300

Interesting I guess we can always de-register the WP script and enqueue our own versions if necessary, not that may help where plugins are concerned.

James
    Participant

@janismo

if no one has reproaches, will use this topic to report wp 3.2 bp 1.2.9 issues.

from other topics and my experience so far:

site wide activities:
    – reply button loads nothing;
    – item tabs load nothing;
    – drop down loads nothing;

Testing on a default install of BP 1.2.9 / WP 3.2 Activity dir: all reply buttons in activity stream lists work, item-list-tabs work, dropdown activity-filter works.

Are you running bp-default? Have you force refreshed your cache?

James
    Participant

@janismo

hi hnla, you were faster than me.
    just checked all issues again and have to say sorry, all problems are from child theme (bp-default works just fine).
    can not find changelog of 1.2.9, were there any important changes I should implement in child theme?

thanks.

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

@janismo I too get the filter dropdowns in the groups/ forums/ members/ activity etc doing nothing now in BP 1.2.9

Got a developer looking at it now.

Hopefully we’ll find the cause!

Keep me posted if you find out why!

James
    Participant

@janismo

hi @rossagrant, just found why.

in my case it was tutorial re how to hide/reveal activity replies. (I did not use plugin, therefore, these are lines

`

`

in header of my child theme.

if you do not use this tutorial, or plugin from the same author, check all other plugins, which use jquery.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

James makes a good point. If you use a plugin (or custom code) that registers a non-standard versions of jQuery, you will have problems with the JS in bp-default (as well as WP and many other plugins).

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

@boonebgorges I have just tried everything out on the same install with ALL plugins still ACTIVE but this time using the default theme and everything is okay.

I take it that it is now something in my theme causing the issue.

Would I be right to assume with it working in BP Default that my plugins are all okay to keep using? It isn’t those causing the issue but my theme? I do have an accordion that uses JS I think. It works but maybe causing a conflict?

Just looking back one post and at that snippet of code added a script call to the head it worries me as surely you would end up calling two different copies of the primary jQuery library, the WP one would need to be de-registered, preferably not though.

n0ise
    Participant

@n0ise

after the upgrade i noticed that the dropdown activity-filter doesnt works

James
    Participant

@janismo

@boonebgorges

actually, everything was fine while I’ve been testing WP 3.1.5 BP 1.2.8. (it means jquery 1.3.2 in code and 1.4.4 in WP), PROBABLY, issue is not in external/internal jquery, but in changes of later versions, 1.6.1 in our case (this is what I have found https://buddypress.org/community/groups/how-to-and-troubleshooting/forum/topic/how-to-have-comment-and-replies-collapse-and-expand/?topic_page=5&num=15#post-103151). And now older versions from our child themes (who uses external jquery) have conflict with internal 1.6.1.

I noticed the following on my site which is upgrade to wordpress 3.2, buddypress 1.2.9 and using the Platformpro template from pagelines.

When you have the buddypress plugin enabled either 1.2.8 or 1.2.9 the following happens
    – The menu drop downs do not work as they do not display
    – In the dashboard the arrows that control the plugins expand/contract do not function
    – I use a feature from pagelines (it’s basically a slider) that no longer functions. It doesn’t slide and even clicking the thumbnails does not work

If I disable the Buddypress plugin everything works fine?

petergriffyn
    Participant

@petergriffyn

I’m running a different theme to bp-default and platformpro and I am getting the same problems with primary/secondary menu drop-downs. What is the fix likely to be?

I have been working in the Pagelines forums and received some feedback as others are experiencing this issue. I now have Buddypress active and it’s working.To do this I had to disable Buddypress Tempalte Pack. It seems the issue is with the Buddypress Template Pack and without this its just as if I have disable BuddyPress itself.

Thank you – Mark

n0ise
    Participant

@n0ise

In my case (activity filter and reply not working, and some other profile issue), i fixed copying the ajax.php and global.js files from the bp-default theme into my custom theme in _inc/ and it’s done.

petergriffyn
    Participant

@petergriffyn

@chules I’m not using the templates pack, so I can’t disable it.

@n0ise I’ll give that shot, I’ve got no other option at the moment. :)

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Did you cut off the upgrade for the time being? For a while I saw the pending 1.2.9 upgrade, but I only applied it to a test site or two, no live ones. Now I don’t see the pending update any longer.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Updates are cron’ed. You should be able to force check with the button in your updates screen.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • The topic ‘A quick note about WordPress 3.2’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar