Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Arrowchat – Facebook Style Chat Bar

• If anyone is interested, I just found this really cool script that basically clones the Facebook chat bar. It’s called ArrowChat and BuddyPress is supported.

http://www.arrowchat.com

What do you guys think? I’m using it and it works great.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• thelandman
    Participant

@thelandman

Hmmm… $65 for that little plugin. Its really neat and looks good but I’m not entirely convinced. I’m working on similar plugin which integrates phpfreechat docked at the bottom of the screen in a similar manner, for free.

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

@thelandman

+1 on that plugin idea!
    phpfreechat looks like one of the most customizable scripts out there.

In a multisite install, the only drawback to an out-of-the-box install of phpfreechat is that it requires its own page… meaning users can’t chat and surf the network at the same time. Docking it at the bottom of the screen, and making it independent of pages would eliminate that problem. Plus, the available global params would make customization by the superadmin a whole lot easier through a backend admin panel.

How about starting a group to keep everyone updated on the progress… when you’re ready, of course :-)

thelandman
    Participant

@thelandman

@pcwriter, I’ll create a group once I’ve polished out the little dents in the plugin. ;)

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

To me, a Jabber integration means a lot, because its putting more control in the users hands.

Don’t want to keep our website open in your browser window every time you wanna chat? Not a problem! Just connect with your favorite Jabber client.

ArrowChat however, just like it’s competitior CometChat, does not strike me as a very reliable solution. As an example, they have all these integrations they’re bragging about, but no in-depth explanations what-so-ever about the available features in each integration; and we’re talking about entirely different pieces of software here! Turns out their BuddyPress integration does not yet support per-group chatrooms, which is a big let-down to me.

I’m currently looking at these two:

http://im.jaxl.im – The closest you can get to a “one-click” solution for Jabber-chat on your site right now. It’s free and open source, but your chat is run by their server, not yours.

http://code.google.com/p/emite/ – I haven’t been able to entirely wrap my head around this project yet, but it looks to me like it could get anyone considering a Jabber-integration on their site off to a flying start.

Hello Friends,

I am the project owner of Jaxl IM, thanks to Erlend for pointing me out this discussion.

Jaxl IM is already ready for embed on all types of websites/CMS. It will be a federated solution i.e. you will be able to login with your gtalk accnt or any other jabber account. Kindly let me know if any specific feature you might want to see inside Jaxl IM project.

Screenshots: http://im.jaxl.im/screenshots.php

dinoraptor101
    Participant

@dinoraptor101

Insane expensive pricess, no free trial, very basic design.. give me 1 reason why should I pay 50$ not to mention I won’t have all the features unless I pay 500$ OMG!

Henry

@henrypwmoulton

Argh, why can’t there be a chat solution for friends?

Just like in facebook?

Henry

@henrypwmoulton

Having said that, cometchat looks like it does friends only, is this true?

Has anyone used cometchat before?

You can try bp chat by brajesh but stable version not yet out

Pisanojm
    Participant

@pisanojm

I am using cometchat quite successfully and it works great with BP. It is a single-user sign in and pulls avatars and passwords from your wordpress/bp site. You can choose to have friend-to-friend chats or make public/ private rooms… You can also choose not to have it appear for non-logged in users. You can also have other modules like Wibya chat… I have had not one issue with it on my site. It is a little heavy for shared-hosting… if you have a VPS 512 Meg plus, you should be fine. It’s well worth the $49 U.S. dollars. They are working on version 3.0 and it should be out within the next 2 months, so it should be getting better (free upgrades for those of you within the year of your purchase).

Henry

@henrypwmoulton

thanks!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Arrowchat – Facebook Style Chat Bar’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar