Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Default theme with widgetized home page

• modemlooper

@modemlooper

ok I created a child theme that has a page template for a widgetized home page.

Download here: http://bit.ly/aBgYo4

To install:

Unzip and upload bp-widget folder to your WP themes folder and activate.

Create a new page called Home choose Buddypress Widget Theme as the page template.

Then in side bar settings >> reading choose the home page you created as the static front page.

Go to widgets and add widgets to the columns

This is the exact default BP 1.2 theme with a custom page and functions to allow a widgetized page.

report bugs below

Screenshot

http://img.skitch.com/20100216-k73mjprrffn7nq1r9tqn9xf452.jpg

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)

• stripedsquirrel
    Participant

@stripedsquirrel

Thanks Modemlooper. Is not also possible (anymore?) to just rename widget.php to home.php and add it to the BP theme?

Saves creating a page, setting it as home page etc (but I guess makes it harder to edit).

Not quite sure yet how the new template structure works, have some reading to do!

Anyway, cheers!

modemlooper

@modemlooper

You could code a theme to force a widgetized homepage but I think it always better to have options. By using a page template you can include different home page layouts. I just transferred the classic home page over.

A test site

http://tempsg.com/buddypress

Avi M
    Participant

@avim

Hi there

Love it as its a great idea!!

That being said Not been able to get it to work.

do I upload the deafault themes folder or just the BP plugin themes folder?

thanks

modemlooper

@modemlooper

wp-content/themes/bp-widget

Theme needs to be activated as the site theme. Its basically the same theme as the default with a new functions file and page template for the home page. It’s better this way so the buddypress upgrades will never be affected.

Avi M
    Participant

@avim

Thanks got up now but there seems to be a display issue. If I add more than one widget to a column the lower widgets header seems to wrap around the side of the upper widget.

Edit

Forgot to ask for help solving this issue!

modemlooper

@modemlooper

what browser OS? I did not check this on everything and does my link above show the same results.

Avi M
    Participant

@avim

firefox and it looks like it might be an issue with the Recently Active Member Avatars widget. Seems to only be happening when the RAMW is onto of others.

Have a look http://jewsbychoice.org/

Oh and no ur links does not show the same reuslts

modemlooper

@modemlooper

oh yeah that widget is made for the sidebar. i have trouble with it as well. Some widgets may go funky if its third party. I’ll work on that one and see if I can update the code. If I remember correctly it was missing some HTML.

quick fix till I figure it out. put an text widget right below the recent members widget and add

<br><br><br>

to the widget with no title

Avi M
    Participant

@avim

Thanks for response and workaround il check back re the proper fix.

Do you also have ideas to use the default bp-home theme on a users blog. The menu links should be fixed

nzde
    Participant

@nzde

Thanks very much for this widgetised homepage Modemlooper. Much appreciated.

stefrusso
    Participant

@stefrusso

hi modemlooper… using your great widgetized theme… however when i add a text widget with html text the layout goes funny.. any idea what’s going on?

thanks!

stefrusso
    Participant

@stefrusso

it seems the problem came when i used bold and italic in the text… with that removed now it’s working again

Avi M
    Participant

@avim

If you scroll up stef there is a solution that might work for you. It involves using
    ‘s.

modemlooper

@modemlooper

@stefrusso check this link http://tempsg.com/buddypress you can see I have a text widget with HTML text added. This theme is using the same code as the default BP theme. I’ve only included CSS to format the widget columns.

Modemlooper thanks for your great job. Theme is working well with me.

But i am interested in including the activity feed in the first column. Do you have an easy solution for this – maybe within the widget.php? I don t know to script in php, only html and css.

Thanks for your support.

modemlooper

@modemlooper

This theme is now in the repo. You can install it via your WP admin >> Appearance >> add new themes. Search Buddypress.

I’ll be adding a few more page templates with various layouts.

Avi M
    Participant

@avim

Mode I have a couple of questions for you.

First is there anything in the repo version that wasn’t in the version available a couple of days back? Also regarding your “I’ll be adding a few more page templates with various layouts” comment is there an eta and can you provide some more detail whats being added?

Lastly I was in IE (whatever the latest version is) last night and the widget areas seem to be having a hard time displaying correctly. Thought I would mention it in case you want to look into it.

Avi M
    Participant

@avim

Oh also (just a suggestion here) if there is anyway to include better sub-page nav that would be an added bonus.

modemlooper

@modemlooper

If you want to stay up to date on this theme i would install the repo version. I fixed the recent members widget . just install and activate the repo theme and delete the other one.

This theme is just a way to get a widgetized home page like the previous version of BP and thats all it will ever be. So if the default BP theme doesn’t have it this theme will not either. sub nav will have to be something you code on your own.

Not sure of time line for more layouts.

Avi M
    Participant

@avim

Thanks for getting back to me. I will update the theme I am using.

As for the layouts. I meant what are u looking to do? As what kind of layouts changes/enhancements are you considering?

modemlooper

@modemlooper

Different column choices. Currently its wide-narrow-narrow. Could do a narrow-wide-narrow template or have even more zones to place widgets.

Avi M
    Participant

@avim

Kool! I know id prob use the narrow – wide – narrow

I liked Modemlooper’s idea to have such separated widget home page. But i was interested in to have more columns.

I have modified the theme with 4 up to 5 columns. The 5th column/ section is deactivated by default within the syle.css (display: none;) It is easy to remove this line and to modify the width-pixel sizes of the other columns if it is needed. I have sent the new theme to the wordpress theme directory. Don t know how long it will need for them to make it available.

Avi M
    Participant

@avim

Kart very kool will check it out!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • The topic ‘Default theme with widgetized home page’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar