Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

WP-FB-AutoConnect working but can’t override facebook avatar from buddypress change avatar page?

• Jamie Marsland
    Participant

@jamesmarsland

Hi ,

Since i upgraded to wordpress 3 and latest version of buddypress and latest version of wp-fb-autoconnnect I cannot overide my avatar from within BP. It lets me upload a new one through BP but still shows the facebook one. I can only upload a new one if i de-activate the plugin. Help i have cross users.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • This has been asked on the plugin developer’s blog, and this was his answer:
    “Regarding users uploading their own avatars, the way it’s setup now is for Facebook avatars to take precedence over Buddypress avatars for users who connect with this plugin. You can of course eliminate this entirely, but if you wanted to allow users to choose to use their FB avatar or their BP avatar on an individual basis, it would require additional coding (to add such an option to the user profile pages). This isn’t a feature I intend to add though, so if you want it I’m afraid the ball’s in your court “

http://www.justin-klein.com/projects/wp-fb-autoconnect#feedback

Jamie Marsland
    Participant

@jamesmarsland

Does that mean it is possible to eliminate facebook avatars coming across?

“You can of course eliminate this entirely, but if you wanted to allow users to choose to use their FB avatar or their BP avatar on an individual basis, it would require additional coding (to add such an option to the user profile pages)”
    Unfortunately, I am not skilled enough to code something like this.

Jamie Marsland
    Participant

@jamesmarsland

Sorry, I’m not being very clear. I’ll try again.

The problem with the plugin is that once you have logged in with facebook you can’t stop the facebook avatar coming through even if you login in normally afterwards. Once you are connected with facebook you are always connected to facebook. The plugin did not used to work like this. This means that users have to have to same avatar in fb and bp …forever! The only way around this (i have found) is to deactivate the plugin.

My question is, is it possible to stop the facebook avatar coming across in the first place. But still use the plugin and therefore users would upload avatars in BP.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

To remove FB avatars from the FB plugin, add the following to your theme’s functions.php:
    remove_filter( 'bp_core_fetch_avatar', 'jfb_get_facebook_avatar', 10, 4 );

To have an option between either the BP avatar and the FB avatar, some custom code would be needed to display an admin option in the user’s settings page.

Jamie Marsland
    Participant

@jamesmarsland

Tks @r-a-y i will give it a go

Jamie Marsland
    Participant

@jamesmarsland

Brill it works!
    thankyou!

james

Beck B
    Participant

@beckb

Sorry, I’m just posting here to remind myself to maybe set up that admin option eventually.

I did at least set up so Facebook Connect users aren’t required to share full names. Currently takes first name + last initial, although ideally I’d prompt them to create their own username. THAT, however, would take a smidge more time/effort.

@jamesmarsland WP-FB-Autoconnect’s coder has released new versions which address this problem and others.

Jamie Marsland
    Participant

@jamesmarsland

@josemv tks i have insalled and seems to fix my issue. On the install instructions it says min requirement php5 , my server is running 4 but still seems ok?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘WP-FB-AutoConnect working but can’t override facebook avatar from buddypress change avatar page?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar