Forum Replies Created
Thank you! That helps me understand that it’s not the standard BuddyPress behavior. I don’t have BP Activity Plus, but I do have RTMedia and after disabling it, the issue is gone. Now I just have to help the RTMedia dev team understand that the issue is on their side.
Appreciate your patience and help with this!!
Here is a video that shows what the issue is. Apologies for the third-grade video editing:
As shown in this video, the steps to recreate the issue are to:
1) Click on any community member
2) Click the “Public Message” button on their profile
3) On the activity feed page, place your cursor in the message box and type “Here I am typing”
4) Hover your mouse cursor over the “Post Update” button. Notice that it is still an arrow icon because you cannot click it.
5) Click the button. IT WILL NOT POST.
6) Click anywhere outside of the message box (e.g. white space off to the right).
7) Hover back over the “Post Update” button. Notice that it is STILL an arrow icon because you cannot click it.
8) Click the button. IT WILL NOT POST.
9) Click back in the message field.
10) Hover back over the “Post Update” button. The cursor changes to a hand icon because the button has now been activated.
11) Click the button. IT FINALLY POSTS.
So, the user experience is that they type their message and then have to click somewhere outside of the message box, then click back inside the message box before they can send their message. Not a good user experience. It did this both on the Klein theme that I am using and the standard WordPress 2016 theme. Exact same experience.
Let me know if there are additional questions that I can clarify.
Thanks for any help demystifying why this is happening.
I switched over to the 2016 theme last night and the behavior is exactly the same. This isn’t something theme related, so where should I look to determine why I have to click outside the text area, then back inside the text area in order to get the button to activate?
Thanks for your guidance!
Apologies. I should have been more precise in documenting my steps. The actual steps are:
1) On the users’ profile, click the “Public Message” button.
2) I am taken to the activity feed and a message box is displayed and their handle is pre-populated.
3) The entry form is focused and I can type.
4) I type “Hello, person”.
5) When I am done typing. I hover over the “Post Update” button, but it displays a pointer, not the hand icon because the button is not activated to send.
6) If I click anywhere on the page to remove focus from the message field, the “Post Update” button remains inactive.
7) When I click back in the message field, the button is now activated and I can send.
I checked with my theme developer and they indicated that this is standard BuddyPress activity and has not been modified by their theme.
Is this how BuddyPress is expected to behave for public messages?