Categories
Search
Bottom

1 email address, mutiple accounts?

• thebloghouse
    Participant

@thebloghouse

Hi all

I have a client who wants to use 1 email address to manage mutiple BuddyPress logins so they can adminstrate / login as ‘different’ people easily :(

Instinctively I feel this will take a great deal of hacking behind the scenes to allow this – has anyone got any quick and dirty ideas?

Simply registering X free email accounts to accomplish this isn’t really an option here

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

There are plugins to allow easy user switching, and I think that would be your safest bet. This way they can just create users in the admin area with new email addresses, and switch to being that user without logging in or out.

Because WordPress uses email addresses for verification and authentication purposes, it can’t really have the same email address multiple times safely.

thebloghouse
    Participant

@thebloghouse

Thanks John – user switching type plugins is one option I am looking into now.

I was thinking if once I register the users using a ‘1@myemail.com’ type email address I could simply manually edit the email address within that users area but no idea if that will unleash a lot of issues somewhere down the line?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

As of WPMU 2.8.1 this will work, but with 2.7.1 if you changed an email address, it didn’t get changed in wp_signups, so even if you changed the email address, you still could not reuse the original one you used to sign up. Be careful right now using 2.8.1 as there are several ways that it’s not playing friendly with BuddyPress.

A user-switching plugin is probably the easiest and safest bet, in my opinion.

thebloghouse
    Participant

@thebloghouse

Thanks again John.

Is manually hacking the SQL database a no no to try and get around this wp_signups ‘issue’ then? ;)

I will look into the user switching plugins first thing in the morning here in the UK.

I also steering well clear of 2.8.1 as the main site I am working on is only just launched and we need something that is at least generally considered stable!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Using 2.7.1, manually digging into phpMyAdmin and editing the wp_signups table is the only way around it. Not going to lie, I’ve had to do it once or twice myself. :)

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

One thing that may help in the meantime is using gmail.

for example, I have account ‘myaccount@gmail.com’

you can use others that will all resolve to that account such as

‘username1.myaccount@gmail.com’

‘username2.myaccount@gmail.com’

‘username3.myaccount@gmail.com’

gmail will route all the ‘sub’ accounts to the same email account for you. For me at least it makes it really easy for me to manage all of my accounts, and it’s really simple to remember as I use ‘username1’ as the username1 for my wp account in question….

plrk
    Participant

@plrk

Many e-mail services also support “plus addressing” – including gmail. I usually use “myname+mysitename1@gmail.com”, “myname+mysitename2@gmail.com”, etc. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_addressing#Sub-addressing .

thebloghouse
    Participant

@thebloghouse

I have just come across sub-addressing myself yeah – looks like the perfect temporary fix :)

My own domains email accounts don’t allow it easily but I will just create 1 gmail account per user that needs multiple accounts.

Thanks for your help guys.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘1 email address, mutiple accounts?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar