Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

100,000 Members Moved from Ning – Mega Site!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

Nice job!

Having just migrated my 40k members over from vbulletin into the new bbpress plugin, my next step is to work with adding buddypress.

I would love to read a post someday about what you went through in getting the network setup correctly and any battles you are still fighting. (esp bp related as I have a strong grasp of wpmu already)

I am not on a shared host, but rather run clusters of dedicated servers so cpu/bw is not an issue.

ericodom
    Participant

@ericodom

It would take a plethora of posts to describe the battles lol. We’re still dealing with them.

For us the biggest challenge has been replicating all the functionality of Ning. Features such as message forward, reply to sender only on multiple user messages and mass share on discussions/blog posts are a beast and we still haven’t quite figured out that madness.

The headache we’ve been dealing with all day today is the fact that we moved about 90,000 users from Ning to BP two weeks ago to run the import. We didn’t want them to get a message about password reset at the time because the dev site wasn’t public. So, by doing that we created a screwed up scenario where when we switched the domain we got hit with 10,000 users who’s Ning password wouldn’t take.

Plus, we had to quickly reverse out of asking for “user names” on BP login because Ning uses email as user name. Most Ning users think their user name is their display name and BP won’t accept spaces or cap letters in username.

See what I mean… could go on forever!

But in the end we now control everything and can build it out the way we want. Which is what we wanted.

ericodom
    Participant

@ericodom

and btw… here is a good use of sub-domain mapped into its own domain on WPMS (or MU) http://libertynews.com/

Kinda cool to have a standalone news site build on same backbone/dashboard. :-)

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

thnx for the reminder… I do vaguely remember reading somewhere that bp screws with the registration of usernames with spaces/characters in the name…

btw
    love the site, esp the content, right up my alley.

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

Well I managed to import 30k members and 297k forum posts into the new bbpress plugin. Now we just need the plugin to work with buddypress and I’m set.

This should provide a good test prior to our updating the larger sites with 500k+ members and millions of posts…

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘100,000 Members Moved from Ning – Mega Site!’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar