Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

404 errors when installing BP with WP in a subdirectory.

• Paul

@bigredpaul

using WP 2.9.2 and BP 1.2.1. I have wp installed in a subdirectory called wordpress, but the index.php file is in the root directory, which points to the wordpress directory, and this runs just fine. When I installed BP, all of its links in the bar at the top of the page all use the wordpress directory as part of its URLs, which results in 404 errors.

How do I get BP to use the root URL without adding the wordpress directory on to it? Do I need to move the WP install up a directory level? Is there some other solution that will work?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Paul

@bigredpaul

OK, I don’t know what I did, but it started working.

elena.miteva

@elenamiteva

I know that it worked for you but can you remember what you did, cause I have the same problem… :)

sacstephen
    Participant

@sacstephen

Same here. I have tried everything and the 404’s keep coming. Any help would be greatly appreciated. For now I have deactivated BP and hope that someone documents a fix.

Gianfranco
    Participant

@gian-ava

I can’t believe that such a problem is not discussed to the point of being already solved.

I am sure that there are so many people who got wp installed in a subdirectory.

Two days ago I wrote an in-depth topic about just that. Please read it here.

It was TOTALLY ignored by the community.

I don’t care if it is the discussed here or there, as long as IT IS discussed, and not ignored.

Really, is there only 3-4 people with wp in a subdirectory and don’t want a permalink configuration such as: mywebsite.com/wordpress/activity?

C’mon…

(Oh, by the way my site does work with that setup, I just don’t want the subfolder in the permalinks, and yes, that represent a big issue for me).

ousep
    Participant

@ousep

I faced the same problem… and I did took the simplest measure to make it work: I shifted the WP files out of its folder… I know, not the best solution. But I’m working on a fresh site, and I could afford to…

Gianfranco
    Participant

@gian-ava

Well, putting the files out of the subdirectory is not a solution. That is not having the problem in the first place. Not the same thing, really.

sueme
    Participant

@sueme

I’m currently running an active site, and having followed the instructions in https://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordPress_Its_Own_Directory I’ve got all my files in a mysite/wordpress file with everything in the wordpress folder but the index.php and .htaccess files in the home directory. that’s given the whole of my site a mysite address rather than a mysite/wordpress address.

This sites been up a while and works well, but I’m having trouble getting BuddyPress to work on it. Whatever I try, I seem to end up with half the site still on mysite (whilst everything in mysite/wordpress is coming up unobtainable); or half the site on mysite/wordpress (whilst everything in mysite is unobtainable).

There’s quite a bit of activity on the site, so I don’t want to start from scratch, but I would like to get BuddyPress on it. Has anyone worked out how to do this yet?

I tried the solution at https://buddypress.org/forums/topic/permalinks-setup-with-wp-intalled-in-subdirectory-and-indexphp-in-root?replies=23#post-45920 (which is marked “Resolved”) but it didn’t work for me.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@sueme

Don’t bump similar threads.

You already replied to this thread:

https://buddypress.org/forums/topic/permalinks-setup-with-wp-intalled-in-subdirectory-and-indexphp-in-root

Please leave follow-ups in that thread.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘404 errors when installing BP with WP in a subdirectory.’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar