Activating bp-default = White Screen of Death, Including Admin
First, the meta:
1. Which version of WPMU are you running?
2. Did you install WPMU as a directory or subdomain install?
- As a directory
3. If a directory install, is it in root or in a subdirectory?
- A subdirectory
4. Did you upgraded from a previous version of WPMU? If so, from which version?
5. Was WPMU functioning properly before installing/upgrading BuddyPress?
6. Which version of BuddyPress (BP) are you running?
- Trunk revision 1885
7. Did you upgraded from a previous version of BP? If so, from which version?
- Various trunk revisions, most recently 1882 (which exhibited a similar issue)
8. Do you have any plugins other than BuddyPress installed and activated?
9. Are you using the standard BuddyPress themes or customized themes?
10. Have you modified the core files in any way?
11. Do you have any custom functions in bp-custom.php?
12. If running bbPress, which version?
- Whatever is integrated with BuddyPress
13. Please provide a list of any errors in your server’s log files.
- Curiously, there seems to be nothing generated in error_log for this particular issue. That is, I can create the problem (without fail) and see nothing in error_log nor in the error logs in my host admin panel (cPanel).
/* The Issue */
First, the algorithm:
1. Deactivate existing BuddyPress plugin.
2. Delete plugins/buddypress/ and themes/bp-default/ and themes/bp-sn-parent/.
3. Check out latest trunk to my personal computer.
4. FTP trunk/ to plugins/.
5. Rename plugins/trunk/ to plugins/buddypress/.
5. FTP bp-default/ and bp-sn-parent/ to themes/.
6. Activate BuddyPress.
7. Activate bp-default.
Here, “Cringe” = neither the WPMu admin nor the public-facing site return any HTML. This is the White Screen of Death. I am unable, therefore, to disable BuddyPress, and unable to activate a different theme. The only way to restore access to the site is to delete or rename themes/bp-sn-parent/.
I noticed tonight that the description in Themes for bp-default says
The template files are located in /themes/bp-sn-parent/messages. The stylesheet files are located in /themes/bp-default.
Why would WPMu be looking for template files in a directory under bp-sn-parent/, rather than in that directory? Perhaps this isn’t problematic, but it seemed a little odd to me. It also seemed odd that whatever misdirection a theme faces would cripple the whole site.
I had been upgrading trunk for a week or two, without also upgrading the theme directories. So, for some time, I had bp-default and bp-sn-framework with newer trunk revisions. Since BP should support fully custom themes, and bp-sn-framework is now essentially custom given bp-sn-parent is the standard, I’m not sure this should actually have an effect. I thought it might be pertinent.
Toward determining where the issue was, I searched my db tables for “framework” and didn’t hit anything that looked useful.
Anyone have any ideas?
- The topic ‘Activating bp-default = White Screen of Death, Including Admin’ is closed to new replies.