Can this be done? Single WP Install on 1 subdomain co-exist within wpmu/bp
Im considering this configuration and wondering if others think its possible or whether I am crazy for trying to do it
I will be installing wpmu/buddypress on a main domain using subdomain structure – nothing fancy there.
Most of the subdomain blogs will be typically simple user blogs and act as normal – still good.
Now, here comes the challenge. I have an existing site hosted on a different domain running normal wp that I want to bring in and move to be a subdomain of the new wpmu/buddypress site. This site is very large database – we are using wp as a CMS and have 60k posts and lots of data in the postmeta, plus I am running some pretty advanced plugins that I have found to cause problems when implemented in wpmu. So, I want don’t think I can (or want) to convert this blog to be an instance of wpmu – I want to keep it as a single wp install.
This is how I’m thinking of merging the two:
* Create a clone blog entry in wpmu that will act as the place holder for my single wp subdomain (I can use htacess or special theme here to redirect anyone who finds the clone subdomain to my real subdomain) – This is to generate a blog_id to be used in the single wp database prefix.
* Create a server-side subdomain in order for my single wp install to resolve correctly and install it in that subdomain folder.
* In my single wp install – Set CUSTOMER_USER_TABLE and CUSTOMER_USERMETA_TABLE to point to the wpmu usertables – so now all the users will be in the same table and login/logout will go through the wpmu process
* My single wp install will include the clone blog_id in its prefix in order to have all the capabilities working correctly in the usermeta table
I **think** this scenario should work.
Where I think I will run into problems is getting the buddybar to show up on my special domain. One idea I had was to create a custom page on my clone subdomain that just generates the buddybar html code – then include that at the top of my wp single install theme either as a php include or as an iframe. Thoughts on that approach?
The other question is regarding cookies and how the single install wp could read the wpmu cookies to check to see if logged in – if I just set to the same salt/auth keys as wpmu, and since they are both using same user/usermeta tables, it should work, right?
Any guidance on this is greatly appreciated before I go down the path of learning out the hard way this won’t work
- The topic ‘Can this be done? Single WP Install on 1 subdomain co-exist within wpmu/bp’ is closed to new replies.