Categories Missing after BP 1.2.1 Upgrade
I am testing all of my plugins for conflicts and I have changed the category slug back to category rather than topics as noted before.
This category page is showing:
This category page is missing:
I’m also testing the BP Contents plugin, but I haven’t been able to get it working yet.
How did you initially install BP?
I had a similar problem a few months ago when I moved a WP install to WPMU just to use BP.
Thanks for answering. Yes, I initially had a WP install, that I upgraded to WPMU and then added BP. I did however completely shut down the original WP install to do a clean MU install.
I got all the categories to show by reverting the install to list all permalinks in the default format. This is not good for SEO or good looking urls but at least half my categories aren’t missing.
I tried this fix: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/328469?replies=3 and I got nothing but errors.
I’ve also turned off WP SuperCache to see if this will help.
You’re lucky that this also happened to me!
Read up on what I did to overcome this:
You say you did a completely clean WPMU install, so I’m not sure if the link I posted above will help you.
Ray, Good Morning. Thank you for sharing your experience with a similar issue.
Unfortunately, I think that your problem might relate to mine. I shut down the site completely to do the MU install and I used Ron’s Advanced Import Tool/Widget. I thought all the categories were imported and working fine until this last BP update. Something in that update made my category structure go all pear shaped.
I guess I’ll have to spend some time over in the MU forums. I think this relates to BP too since the update seems to have changed the way categories are changed or shown. Specifically, the category slugs cannot be edited anymore. [at least that I can find]
I hardly know where to start to find the problem in the database.
I just found another possible culprit/conflict. In BP member profiles, any words that could become tags that relate members to each other become links. These links might be causing some conflicts in the database because they are not displaying. For instance, I have an Essex County Category that is not displaying and a Essex County link that is not displaying in a buddypress profile. The Essex County Category sends you to the homepage when you click on it and the Essex County profile link sends you to the Members Listing Page.
Thank you for your help. I couldn’t have gotten through this without you.
Secondly, for future reference for anyone that encounters this issue in the future. You may not have to reformat or restore or putz with your database. For my particular install, this was an issue of Category and Tag conflicts.
I starting this blog with tags denoting certain regions and counties in New Jersey. I later changed the organizational structure so that all my counties were in sub categories under regions of the state. I had never removed those original duplications. When I upgraded the install something caused the database to throw some weird issues. I also had a member that had begun to sneak in region and category tags in her listings that I had not caught.
There were also group tags that had the same region and county names in the database. This caused a triple instance of the same word in the database that I had not told the database how to deal with.
The solution for me came when I got the idea to remove all the instances of regions and counties in the tags. I then reorganized the categories. I set up a structure like so: Regions > Region name (North/Central/South) > County name (Atlantic…/Warren). This solved the conflict issue in the main blog and in the member sections.
I hope this helps someone in the future.
… Now onto the next challenge.
- The topic ‘Categories Missing after BP 1.2.1 Upgrade’ is closed to new replies.